Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bring wire through firewall from cabin to battery: CB install

HowserMD

Hello

I have an '08 Avensis T3-X Petrol 1.8.

I am to install a Yaseu ft-2800M Amateur Radio in the dash compartment between driver and passenger below front windshield.

I need to run a heavy gauge wire of 25 Amps or higher from the Battery to the cab. Is there a plug in the Firewall someone can recommend, or perhaps the best route for me to take from the little compartment you can see in photo to its end destination? 

P.S. not going toward the fusebox in this situation. Straight to the Car Battery, please.

Thanks

2018-05-04 14.22.22.jpg

2018-05-04 14.22.13.jpg

Hi,

Not aware of any spare socket as such, usually you can squeeze a wire though where the main loom passes through the rubber seal the bulkhead.

Start with a thin but stout wire to get through and then pull the thicker one in.

Not familiar with that radio unit, but looking as datasheets listed as "Yaseu ft-2800M"  it says 0.7A current needed, so wonder why you need "25A or higher"  ?  

You will also need a similar Ground cable and chassis earthing point or cable going back to the Battery, plus your own fuses as thats a dangerous amount of power, will your Battery and alternator be able to handle such an additional load ?

Thanks for the terrific reply 'oldcodger' (feel terrible calling anyone that).

Its funny, the RX (Receive) is 0.7A, but the Tx (Broadcast) shoots to 10A when using max power of 65W. Also want to install a power block for any potential additional add-ons. So, yes - obviously still over cautious, but no harm in that. Radio will only be in use for broadcasting when engine is running, and will rarely be choosing to pump up to the max power anyway.

Those things aside, that's sound advice to go for the rubber seal at the bulkhead.

Thank you for that

Capture.JPG

Hi,

Ah, missed the TX bit :blush:

Don't know if the Airbag recall affects your car, but would get that done before you add in those wires as the whole dash has to come out , so we are told, and they will probably not want to mess with your custom wiring... ?

Again - you're right and thank you for the further advice. I'm currently waiting for the V5 form to be sorted out as last keeper misplaced this, thereby delaying my registration with Toyota to qualify me for the recall.

Another way to look at this might be that if I talk to the guys nicely that are carrying out the airbag work (for which this car of mine is qualified) it would be the perfect time to have a couple of cables more easily pulled through.

I think that's my angle here, so I can thank you for the inspiration as it might save me a couple of bob

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HowserMD said:

Another way to look at this might be that if I talk to the guys nicely that are carrying out the airbag work (for which this car of mine is qualified) it would be the perfect time to have a couple of cables more easily pulled through.

Hi,

I would very much doubt  that,  don't think T Dealers let you talk to the mechanics like a small garage and doubt they would want to get involved in doing non standard wiring work.

Someone like Kingo/Parts King might give a more qualified comment

• Like 1

One more question in relation... I have a mic holder to mount. Do you know what the little rectangle of horizontal slots represents that I have highlighted in my first picture? Is it perhaps a cover for internal thermometer or the like that I shouldn't cover?

Thank you in advance.

Dash Cropped with Highlight.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Hi,

Just having had a fault with my Air con have been aware of that that is likely to be,  the cabin internal temp sensor, so if you block it your temp control, with or without a/c, may be affected /slow to respond.

What about a sticky pad on that unused recessed area  just to the right ?

You can get very strong sticky pads used to hold  number plates on, that should take the weight of your mic or a carefully placed screw if you can get behind the panel to place a support piece and  ensure  it doesn't catch anything.

It's like I've found a second dad. You're terrific. Nice to know I was on the right track with my temperature sensor guess.

Couldn't agree with you more about the recessed area to the right. A good alternative indeed.

You don't cut lawn too??

Take care of yourself, Michael. NI

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links