Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Issue?

olitre3

Hi there, Im a new member here.

Last night whilst happily driving along I shifted into 5th and as I brought my foot off the clutch there was a loud grinding noise. It sounded like it wasnt in gear properly. I tried again and it made the same noise, and with every other gear. Whilst the clutch is down or it is in neutral there is no different noise and it runs fine but I cannot put it in gear and lift off the clutch. I cannot go anywhere.

I don't suppose anyone has any idea what this issue could be?

It has done nearly 90,000 miles but is well looked after.

I appreciate any help you can give!

17 hours ago, olitre3 said:

Last night whilst happily driving along I shifted into 5th and as I brought my foot off the clutch there was a loud grinding noise. It sounded like it wasnt in gear properly. I tried again and it made the same noise, and with every other gear. Whilst the clutch is down or it is in neutral there is no different noise and it runs fine but I cannot put it in gear and lift off the clutch. I cannot go anywhere.

With the engine off (irrespective of whether the clutch is pressed or not) - can you engage gears?  This would suggest a fault with the clutch.

8 hours ago, alan333 said:

With the engine off (irrespective of whether the clutch is pressed or not) - can you engage gears?  This would suggest a fault with the clutch.

Yes I can, sometimes it goes in easily. And sometimes it won't go in. but if you try another gear then go back to it it will go in easily. with the clutch down they all go in fine.

With the engine running, clutch down can you cycle through all the gears with no noise? Don't let the clutch up while doing this.

If you can then it could be a differential or driveshaft problem. 

Where in Sussex are you?

Craig.

Im in Haywards Heath.

Ive just put it into a garage to be diagnosed. If I remember correctly. I can with the clutch down and it didnt make any different noise to usual. Not 100% though

Not too far from you, South of Horsham myself.

Keep us posted on what they say, interested to know myself.

Craig.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my car back yesterday. Turns out that my main clutch plate had shattered. It has now been replaced and I will be taking it out for a drive today to make sure everything is okay.

It shattered?

Just out of curiosity..... was someone perhaps having a little too much..... um..... fun?...     say in a car-park?,... late at night? 😉

Might be worth checking your tires and handbrake aswell 😄 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links