Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery charge when car not in use

booke02

This post and some follow ups of mine might be of interest to some.

Actual battery voltages in use.

Modern AGM (Absorbent Glass Matt) types should not necessarily see a particularly high resting voltage as that implies the concentration of acid is high, higher than might be desirable for a long life.   

• 4 years later...

toyota yaris        my wife has a 2021 toyota yaris hybrid  i was sat in the car waiting for her for 1 hour 20 minutes and decided to play the radio .

she came back went to start it flat Battery .RAC were called jump started it and i asked do we take it for a long run no he said over the next couple of days turn the car to ready position and leave for a hour the engine will kick in every know and again ? .But what if you have no off road parking don,t think insurance would pay up .This must be a problem of to small 12volt Battery fitted to this car .We were planning to leave it at airport parking for 2 weeks but i think i,ll have to buy a booster pack 

For peace of mind I carry a Noco booster pack in my Yaris.

• Like 3

On 9/30/2023 at 4:54 PM, trevhart said:

toyota yaris        my wife has a 2021 toyota yaris hybrid  i was sat in the car waiting for her for 1 hour 20 minutes and decided to play the radio .

she came back went to start it flat battery .RAC were called jump started it and i asked do we take it for a long run no he said over the next couple of days turn the car to ready position and leave for a hour the engine will kick in every know and again ? .But what if you have no off road parking don,t think insurance would pay up .This must be a problem of to small 12volt battery fitted to this car .We were planning to leave it at airport parking for 2 weeks but i think i,ll have to buy a booster pack 

There is a big thread on 12v Battery maintenance at the top of the forum. Some members have left it for more than 2 weeks and car still start fine, this would depend on the health and charge of the Battery prior to leaving it. Booster pack is a good idea. The bottom line is turn the engine on if using the radio/fan and power for more than 5-10mins. 

• Like 4

My car just spent a week sat at a body shop with the tailgate open. AFAIK they didn't leave it in READY mode at any time, and no batteries, etc., were disconnected, and it seemed fine when I collected it. I took it out for a 3+ hour drive, so hopefully that gave the 12V Battery a chance to re-charge.

• Like 3

Does the boot light automatically turn off after a certain time - to save Battery power?

2 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

Does the boot light automatically turn off after a certain time - to save battery power?

It turns off as soon as you close the boot.

23 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

I appreciate that, but @YarisHybrid2016 says that the car was left for a week with the tailgate open.

Open boot, or failure to switch off, was Honest John's go-to when  people had flat batteries 🙂

• Like 1

The interior lights switch off after 20 minutes.  

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links