Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What do you think of the Touch 2 with Go Navigation System?

olddriver

And is it worth the £750 added to the price of a new car, any comments would be useful?

For £750, one could buy a high range TomTom, Garmin or similar with lifetime updates, and have a considerable cost saving. Although what constitutes 'lifetime' is decided by the sat nav manufacturer, rather than being one's period of ownership, so one needs to be aware of that. Depends how often one uses the sat nav, whether you prefer an integrated system, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

For £750, one could buy a high range TomTom, Garmin or similar with lifetime updates, and have a considerable cost saving. Although what constitutes 'lifetime' is decided by the sat nav manufacturer, rather than being one's period of ownership, so one needs to be aware of that. Depends how often one uses the sat nav, whether you prefer an integrated system, etc.

I don't have a sat nav and always use a map, I was only interested because it is integrated, but having read those two reports I am having second thoughts.

At the moment, if I am going somewhere unfamiliar, I use a conventional map, or use G00GLE maps on my computer, and print out some maps. If I don't spend the £750 then I would continue to do without a sat nav for now.

Prior to having integrated Sat Navs I owned a Tom Tom which I still possess and in fact was updated today! It cost me about £100 and Tom Tom regularly offer updates at no cost. Initially I used the cigar lighter socket for power and later a USB port. Must say it was impressive and there were few negatives in using it. In fact it's probably better than the integrated Sat Nav in my current Avensis.

Like "olddriver" I also used conventional map/atlas but progressed to using Google to find the AA route planner. Simply entered starting address and destination and got detailed directions - still use it sometimes!

• Like 1

So, olddriver (much nicer if we knew your name), if a number of replies said the Touch 2 Go was really good it sounds like you would spend the money. As it is the few reports come forward shows it is not good value, and I would add to that. Most say buy a TomTom or Garmin (the two biggies in sat navs) for £100 or so (you can spend £250 and more) but seems you would rather use a print out instructions or a road map.

The problem I found with either of those is my wife was the one reading me the instructions, mostly just a bit too late, or trying to read a road map. The latter was particularly fraught, because the wife is one of those useless at reading maps - I could give her a road map upside down and she probably wouldn’t notice at all. Your passenger may be a good map reader or good at giving instructions. However, with a stand alone sat Nav, or a smart phone with a sat Nav app, you can listen to instructions that are clear and well ahead of a junction etc. And you don’t get into an argument because there is no one to answer back. Of course, if you have no one with you to read/give instructions you are a bit stuck, apart from stopping by the roadside and hoping you can remember what you have read. Obviously it’s your choice, but personally I couldn’t go back at not use my sat Nav or phone sat Nav app.

• Like 3

We use a mixture of information. More often than not, we use a sat nav (currently a Garmin) backed up by a print from The AA Routefinder. We also have an up-to-date road atlas.  When on holiday in the UK, we also use Ordnance Survey maps.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, olddriver said:

And is it worth the £750 added to the price of a new car, any comments would be useful?

Which new car? Apparently the new Corolla & RAV4 models will offer/come with an updated T2wG which I notice that the Toyota blog is now starting to call Multimedia17/MM17 (probably fed up with all the negative feedback about new models coming with old infotainment system not allowing CarPlay/Android Auto!).

As far as Touch 2 with Go if we are talking about the current iteration (as opposed to something running several years old software) I find it acceptable once you have become familiar with it & it's quirks - many of the complaints imo come from people who haven't made the effort/taken the time to do so. Is it best of breed - definitely not & surely is due for replacement soon (it's a 5+ year old system which in modern tech is an age), is it worst of breed - apparently not (it seems that may go to Honda)!

Downsides of the current system imo:

•  it's slow to boot & slightly laggy in operation probably as a result of it's old hardware, this is 1 area that MM17 should improve on.
  • because of the way that mapping is released from Here to Toyota who then have to format it & test it for their systems which are directly integrated with the rest of the car's systems it will never be as up to date as Tomtom/Garmin (this is likely to be true for any manufacturer's system).
  • the routing algorithm doesn't work the way/factor in things (e.g. sleeping policeman) that I would so may make a different choice than I would. However, I haven't yet tried any other system that would replicate all my choices.

Maybe worth a read for the relative pros & cons of integrated v standalone systems. https://www.lifewire.com/in-dash-nav-vs-portable-gps-534739

Is it worth £750 to you - only you can say.

My personal preference is as little infotainment as possible and using a smartphone for all information instead including sat navs, google or Apple maps does the job better than any other Tom Tom or garmin device, other options are installed aftermarket system that support Apple car play and android auto there are options for around £300 on Amazon. Less distractions while driving better driving experience and safer at most. 

Regards 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Catlover said:

So, olddriver (much nicer if we knew your name), if a number of replies said the Touch 2 Go was really good it sounds like you would spend the money. As it is the few reports come forward shows it is not good value, and I would add to that. Most say buy a TomTom or Garmin (the two biggies in sat navs) for £100 or so (you can spend £250 and more) but seems you would rather use a print out instructions or a road map.

The problem I found with either of those is my wife was the one reading me the instructions, mostly just a bit too late, or trying to read a road map. The latter was particularly fraught, because the wife is one of those useless at reading maps - I could give her a road map upside down and she probably wouldn’t notice at all. Your passenger may be a good map reader or good at giving instructions. However, with a stand alone sat Nav, or a smart phone with a sat Nav app, you can listen to instructions that are clear and well ahead of a junction etc. And you don’t get into an argument because there is no one to answer back. Of course, if you have no one with you to read/give instructions you are a bit stuck, apart from stopping by the roadside and hoping you can remember what you have read. Obviously it’s your choice, but personally I couldn’t go back at not use my sat Nav or phone sat Nav app.

Your comments about how useless your wife is at map reading are exactly how I would describe my wife's efforts! Prior to having Sat Nav we had so many arguments about her map reading that she eventually refused to fulfil that role! I was not unhappy with her decision as it means I no longer hear her say "you should have turned left back there, no I mean right" as she turns the atlas upside down! Is it possible that our wives are related!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My wife had a twin she never knew........ I wonder 😉

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

It is a costly item... Had one fitted to previous Auris Hybrid.  It was excellent in use...much better than the latest offering 'Andriod Car Play" or "Apple Car Play"  (if used just for SAT NAV).   True, there are numerous stand-alone SAT-NAV versions on the market.. but check on additional costs likely to be incurred for updates, etc.... as the overall difference in cost over the life of the vehicle (assuming you keep the car)... may be more favourable than you think.

Can’t say I have found issues with it in 5 years. Driving all over the UK.

My only gripe is it lacks a mode to avoid small B roads. Which is a pain when towing so I use the Sygic Truck app on my phone and play the voice nav through the bluetooth ( simultaneously listening to Apple Music) with the route displayed on the built in maps, taking the Sygic Voice prompts if there is any discrepancy. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links