Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1998 interior light and cigarette lighter help

PaulRush

Hi all , I’m in need of some help with both my interior dome light not working and removing the cigarette lighter.

i am aware that the 7.5 dome fuse is a regular culprit and I have changed it and the bulb but still no rear interior door open light etc. I wonder will a replacement unit from a breakers yard cure ?

secondly , my cigarette lighter works fine however I am trying to remove the lighter to change the bulb that surrounds it. I can’t see how to gain access even after removing the ashtray etc. Any help is greatly appriecated!

1998 t22 mk1 saloon gls

2F6DFF8C-1BD1-4A71-B6D8-DD3D30A6559D.jpeg

The dome light housing needs replacing. I changed mine when i owned my Mk1 1998 GLS. The plastic moulding melts, so the light does not work, and in my case blew the 'Dome' fuse, as it kept shorting. The replacement housing can come off any Toyota so long as it is a similar shape and the screw and plug fittings are the same. Toyota tend to use the same parts across different models. The housing I installed was from a car a couple of years younger. The bulb was held by one sprung connecting instead of two on the old version.
I cannot remember if I replaced the bulb for the cigarette lighter, on the Mk1. I will need to search the archives. I did replace every bulb in the dash, including the heater controls and the dash warning or function bulbs.
I will post, if and when I get ore info on the cigarette lighter.

• Thanks 1

I found my post, but in the Yaris Owners Club of all places. It was about my Avensis T22 interior light -  

My interior lamps look the same but the electrical tracks are different. My older fitting had spring type contact/bulb holder at each ending. One of the contacts was loose and shorted against another part of the car and/or fitting. The replacement has one fixed end and the other spring contact. I believe this is a more durable.

The following picture shows the replacement fitting with the bulb, and the older faulty fitting.

post-76861-0-60159600-1398164010_thumb.j

The light fitting on the left is the replacement, and the right is the old.

Still not found the cigarette post yet.

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much Konrad c ! Very helpful 

just spied a new old stock on the internet for £8.50! Very pleased 

• Like 1

Any help on the cigarette lighter or a part number / would be greatly appreciated thanks 

It's been a long time since I worked and owned my Mk1. It had the Sony double din stereo, so removing that gave better access to the rear of the cigarette lighter. I disconnected the power, then pushed the metal centre first, then pulled/pushed the outer green plastic out. The other way is to pull the bulb holder from the plastic part of the cigarette lighter and change the bulb. I think the bulb is a 286 capless version, which also fits the heater illumination and instrument panel. 
Here is a diagram and link to part numbers -  AVENSIS |  SWITCH RELAY COMPUTER

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/1998/avensis/at221r-almekw/3_273540_026_/electrical/8401_switch-relay-computer/4#85500

Oh yes, make sure the power is off - no key in the ignition!

Thanks Konrad c.

i got the interior roof lights replaced and sorted.

however the cigarette lighter is proving more difficult.

i have managed to separate the assembly and gained access to the bulb. I need some guidance on how to insert the bulb back in to the assembly however. Just to make sure I have the little metal pins in the right way. Because when I was putting it back in earlier the bulb was blowing the ‘Tail 10 amp fuse’

thanks

752428DD-CF0D-414C-A703-2330317CA70A.jpeg

BEEB19D1-8BF6-4FC1-9B87-C519EC5821D7.jpeg

327E17A6-35ED-4D13-8A28-BD19FF7F81EC.jpeg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links