Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starter motor test and alternator test

fsj

Hello All,

I have a 2003 Yaris 1.3 petrol automatic, France built. Are there easy tests to find the condition of my starter motor and alternator? New Battery but still turns slow when starting it. 

Before you test anything check the earth straps connections at Battery and body. All you need is some corrosion to drop the voltage . And then check the starter motor connections..

1/ Measure the resting voltage (engine not running) across the Battery. It should be around 12.4v or higher.

2/ See how the voltage holds up when you turn the headlights on. It should not dip much below the voltage you measure above and it should hold at that voltage as you leave the lights on. A healthy 60Ah Battery that is full charged should run headlights for 5 hours or more and so a few minutes test should be easily coped with.

3/ Start the engine and measure the Battery voltage again. It should be above 14 volts if the engine is cold, typically around 14.5v. Now switch the headlights on again. The voltage should hold up above 13 volts at idle and be back to 14.5v as soon as the revs increase. 

If the charging voltage is OK then the alternator is working OK.

If the voltage of the battery at rest (engine not running) falls away as you put the lights on then the battery is suspect.

The above voltages aren't hard and fast rules but typical of normal operating conditions. 

Ok. Alternator and Battery are in good shape as determined by tests. I cleaned all the grounds (earths) from the Battery and where it connects to the starter. I tapped the starter with a hammer just for good measure and it cranked way faster than it has been since I owned it. My guess is a I need a starter. Does anyone know what this (see below) means? 

Yaris/Vitz 2003 _P1_ [1999-2005] Hatchback

I see this when I search for a starter on the 'Bay. Is this what my car is and is it the right starter? 

I own a 2003 Toyota Yaris 1.3 Automatic 5 door hatchback.

Taking what you did at face value reveals a fatal flaw in that you performed two remedial actions and now don't know which improved matters.

Was it:

I cleaned all the grounds (earths) from the battery and where it connects to the starter.

or was it:

I tapped the starter with a hammer just for good measure and it cranked way faster than it has been since I owned it.

that had the desired effect?

1 minute ago, Mooly said:

Taking what you did at face value reveals a fatal flaw in that you performed two remedial actions and now don't know which improved matters.

Was it:

or was it:

that had the desired effect?

Yup. It did crank better after cleaning the cables. The "tap" was a parting shot. 

1 hour ago, fsj said:

Ok. Alternator and battery are in good shape as determined by tests. I cleaned all the grounds (earths) from the battery and where it connects to the starter. I tapped the starter with a hammer just for good measure and it cranked way faster than it has been since I owned it. My guess is a I need a starter. Does anyone know what this (see below) means? 

Yaris/Vitz 2003 _P1_ [1999-2005] Hatchback

I see this when I search for a starter on the 'Bay. Is this what my car is and is it the right starter? 

I own a 2003 Toyota Yaris 1.3 Automatic 5 door hatchback.

Yours is 2003 which is after the date when Yaris production for Europe moved to France. I am unsure if that included autos tho. Check your chassis plate under the bonnet and there may be a "Made in Japan" sign seen at the bottom middle of the front windscreen viewed from outside..

If your car is made in France - as opposed to Japan-  it MAY have a different starter motor than that made in Japan. It is important you check: ...I doubt an auto vs a manual starter will differ but you never know.

Be aware SOME  parts suppliers - as opposed to Toyota dealers - do not have a clue about these possible variations...(been there)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links