Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2000 Indicator stalk

JohnP1961

I am struggling to find an Indicator stalk for my 1.8 GS Toyota Avensis Liftback on a 2000 plate. My headlamps have blown/ceased and I have already tried a different relay which didn't help, (it still clicks though), the fuses and bulbs seem fine and the sidelights still work, but the dipped beam is gone, both sides, so I am now going down the change switch route. My car does not have front fog lamps, only rear. If I get a switch that has both front and rear fogs, will it fit my car (and work my headlamps)? The actual correct part number I need is 84140-05080 but I cant find one anywhere besides buying new, which is a non starter

Thanks in advance

It might be prudent if I explain how the problem occurred. I got into the car at night, turned on the engine, then turned on the headlamps. The headlamps came on as usual....for about half a second...then both went out, simultaneously.......only leaving the sidelights illuminated. I jiggled the switch a bit, to no avail and thought it was just maybe a fuse that had gone. On looking further in to it the next day, I checked both 15a fuses which looked fine, as did the Halogen bulbs,  so decided it must be the relay. I got hold of a replacement relay and fitted it...but no joy...the relay is clicking when the switch is activated, though.....so now I'm thinking it must be a worn/faulty switch....but I cant find a correct fit one....to try. The full beam still works OK

Have you tried replacing the bulbs.

To be honest, I just inspected one of the bulbs, which looked fine......but just to make sure, I'll go now and try a different bulb in....just to make sure........

Update
I've tried another known to be working bulb but still no joy

Have you got a Haynes manual so you can follow the wiring. I have changed the indicator stalk/light switch, when I owned my '98 Avensis. I installed a 2001 facelift version. My car was a GLS with front fogs. There was an extra relay box for the fogs, which was not needed on the later switch. It worked the same as before. I had to replace the indicator switch because one side was not working properly, and the lights would go out whilst switching another function. 

You need a switch from any Mk1 Avensis from 1997 to 2002, the later the better and if you have front fogs, the GLS or above. 

An auto electrician would be useful.    

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links