Wynford

Clutch change, 2.0 vvti

Recommended Posts

Can I change the clutch myself, in the garage with some ramps, and some assistance? Does the engine need to come out? Does the petrol 2.0 vvti have a solid flywheel, not DMF, as the diesels do?

The clutch has been intermittently juddering in 1st on take off, so guessing it's on its way out......

Best place to buy clutch kit.

 

thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, why don't you get a quote from your toyota dealer to fit the clutch complete, you might be surprised, I think i was £850 clutch and fitment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Wynford said:

Can I change the clutch myself, in the garage with some ramps, and some assistance? Does the engine need to come out? Does the petrol 2.0 vvti have a solid flywheel, not DMF, as the diesels do?

The clutch has been intermittently juddering in 1st on take off, so guessing it's on its way out......

Best place to buy clutch kit.

 

thanks

 

ok - solid flywheel it is, and judging by pictures i've seen, just need to lower the gearbox and transfer box

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, storybookglenn said:

Hi, why don't you get a quote from your toyota dealer to fit the clutch complete, you might be surprised, I think i was £850 clutch and fitment

I just aint got the money, I'm not working to care for my mother and father. Another option is local garage will do the labour only if I get the parts - which is kind of them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wynford said:

Another option is local garage will do the labour only if I get the parts - which is kind of them

But if there's any problems with the parts it's on you, where it's on the garage if they get the parts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wynford said:

I just aint got the money, I'm not working to care for my mother and father. Another option is local garage will do the labour only if I get the parts - which is kind of them

Hi, what you are saying is true but as Alan said if the clutch goes wrong it is very questionable who pays for the repairs should things go wrong, the garage can say the parts were faulty so want their labour again and the shop that sells you the parts can say the garage that fitted them did the work incorrectly and not warranty the parts. If you let the garage get the parts and fit them, yes it will cost you a bit more but is more likely to be trouble free to you.

Mike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just a clutch replacement, the possibility of something going wrong is minimal, and considering the age of the car, it should be easier.

Besides, it's a standard job, so pretty sure the garage guys can manage it just fine.

 

In my experience, when the garage gets the parts, it's never a bit more, especially if you are trying to save.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mike169 said:

Hi, what you are saying is true but as Alan said if the clutch goes wrong it is very questionable who pays for the repairs should things go wrong, the garage can say the parts were faulty so want their labour again and the shop that sells you the parts can say the garage that fitted them did the work incorrectly and not warranty the parts. If you let the garage get the parts and fit them, yes it will cost you a bit more but is more likely to be trouble free to you.

Mike.

thanks for the reply @Mike169  Can't find video of clutch change, do have a big workshop manual for the RAV. I've been fixing my cars since i was 16, now 57, had a recce and it looks quite easy, no engine removal, and as the gearbox is bolted to the left of the engine a lot of the work is above. - I seen a video on flywheel change, so its very similar process to get at the clutch. I've got all the tools, jacks, axle stands, strops etc, got to give it a go. I feel confident on this one, at least its clean, and no rusty bolts to get out.

Found a borg and beck clutch kit for 85 quid.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, furtula said:

It's just a clutch replacement, the possibility of something going wrong is minimal, and considering the age of the car, it should be easier.

Besides, it's a standard job, so pretty sure the garage guys can manage it just fine.

 

In my experience, when the garage gets the parts, it's never a bit more, especially if you are trying to save.

 

its a good garage, local and rural top guys. They;ve done work for me before on labour only. Of course they do markup parts, that's what trade is all about. Mind you when i was sparkie, I hated it when customer wanted to supply the parts....it took some profit away from me! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, alan333 said:

But if there's any problems with the parts it's on you, where it's on the garage if they get the parts.

sure is, but I've source a borg and beck clutch kit, for my engine number so pretty confident it's right. Just a little concerned as the price for parts varies so much! Just glad it's petrol so no DMF! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any suggestions on good clutch kits / parts supplier. I've sourced a borg and beck for 90 quid, but seem many more far more expensive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, Borg and Beck are very good, I personally have fitted 100's of clutches and this particular make never gave any trouble as long as it's the correct one of course. Have you got a shaft/tool to centre the friction disc?

Mike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mike169 said:

Hi, Borg and Beck are very good, I personally have fitted 100's of clutches and this particular make never gave any trouble as long as it's the correct one of course. Have you got a shaft/tool to centre the friction disc?

Mike.

Yes I have the tool. Can you explain the big variance in price for the kit? From 70 to nearly 200! Were talking blueprint, valeo, exedy (which I think is OEM).....

Borg and beck is 90....from a supplier close to me in Exeter....B & B reference number HK2156 for rav4 mk 2 2.0 petrol...vvti 2005, 

Cheers

Wyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

Changed the clutch on my old Corolla by myself but only because I used on of these engine beams to support the weight of the engine and to aid lowering and raising the gearbox.  They were about £80 from the big named shops but half that on the ebay and seem strong enough.

Be careful where you buy your clutch kit from, low quality forgeries of the big brand names are common place on the usual  sites , so if your B&B price seems too good, check with their site as some of the big names tell you how to check if you have bought a clone.  other good brands, Luk, Blueprint etc.

clutch details(1).pdf

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wynford said:

Yes I have the tool. Can you explain the big variance in price for the kit? From 70 to nearly 200! Were talking blueprint, valeo, exedy (which I think is OEM).....

Borg and beck is 90....from a supplier close to me in Exeter....B & B reference number HK2156 for rav4 mk 2 2.0 petrol...vvti 2005, 

Cheers

Wyn

Hi Wynford.

Can I tell you the reason for clutch price differences, well I worked at Fords at Dagenham for quite a few years working on their own fleet of trucks. I often went over the car production line and they'd be fitting Borg and  Beck, Valeo etc all to the same engine and I drove a few new cars and they all felt the same. Like the Old codger has said as long as it's not a copy or even a reconditioned I honestly would not like to accurately say the big price difference, a bit of snobbery, other watching the £'s but b & B are good, and what you are paying seems a good deal to me.

Mike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @Mike169    - I'll ask them who they're supplier is - I'm thinking it's just new - old stock they haven't shifted. The place is a genuine auto parts place......small though....

Wyn

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbh, the clutch is easy af to replace. Just buy a clutch from ebay and drop the gearbox and put it in. It really isnt difficult in the slightest and will save you at least £700+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2019 at 10:09 PM, Discdevil said:

Tbh, the clutch is easy af to replace. Just buy a clutch from ebay and drop the gearbox and put it in. It really isnt difficult in the slightest and will save you at least £700+

ok thanks. just what i wanted to hear. I've got the rav4 technical manual and it says take the engine out! I was sure there was another way....as long as i have clearance it will be ok. At this stage I'm guessing the solid flywheel shud be ok . I don't have a garage, I'll have to work outside, which makes it a little more taxing,

Cheers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...