Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis rear brake wear / life expectancy

Willss

We have a 17 plate 1.8 petrol manual avensis tourer. 

After 19.5k miles I've been told that the rear pads and discs need replacing (my dealership is pretty straight with these things so I believe it to be the case).  Is this the normal rate of wear?  I appreciate that driving styles differ etc but it seems quite early (owned cars previously that easily did 50k+ before needing replacement).  The car is driven sedately on rural roads for commute with only 2 junctions to stop at and relatively low speeds most of the way, TBH we barely use the brakes most of the journey.

We let the EPB auto release which I've heard doesn't help brakes, can it make this much of a difference to wear/longevity?

Also the brakes have always been pretty poor, have had to push pedal hard to get them to work since new.  Front pads and discs have plenty of life left apparently which also seems unusual. 

Really just asking for other peoples experiences.  Should we release EPB manually etc?  Is there anything dealership should check when replacements are put on or is this just something we should expect?

My 17 plate is due in for a service in ~1 month when I should get an idea if rear pad life on this car is worse than on my 12 plate (which was fine). I do, however, release the EPB manually. 

As you might know Will, my car is same as yours but about 2 years older. I'm not sure if or when my front or rear pads/discs were replaced. I bought my car in Jan 2017 and it now has 38,000 on the clock. During my ownership they have not been done and I've travelled more than 20,000 in the car. There was no mention of wear (or advisories) in my Jan 2019 service. 

It's my understanding that front brakes account for 90% of a cars' braking so it's perhaps surprising your rear brakes are so worn. This suggests something like the EPB is causing it. Like you, I only use the EPB auto release so the question arises why my rear brakes are not worn like yours? Also, like you, I drive prudently and try to avoid braking where possible. 

I did read somewhere, maybe on this forum, that binding brakes will certainly increase wear. Presumably, this is easily checked by jacking up the wheels and spinning them.

The fact that you need to push the brake pedal hard is the exact opposite of mine. If anything mine tend to snatch a bit so I have to use minimum pressure to brake gently. Having to push hard on the brake pedal doesn't sound right to me - perhaps a problem with the servo?

Not really sure what an EPB is but I would check the torque for the rear lug nuts should be around 103 nm.

My wife tends to let the EPB auto release on her Avensis and gets through a set of rear pads approximately every 15-16k! The dealer did warn me that the Avensis is heavy on rear pads, particularly if the auto release is used.

11 hours ago, Willss said:

We have a 17 plate 1.8 petrol manual avensis tourer. 

After 19.5k miles I've been told that the rear pads and discs need replacing (my dealership is pretty straight with these things so I believe it to be the case).  Is this the normal rate of wear?  I appreciate that driving styles differ etc but it seems quite early (owned cars previously that easily did 50k+ before needing replacement).  The car is driven sedately on rural roads for commute with only 2 junctions to stop at and relatively low speeds most of the way, TBH we barely use the brakes most of the journey.

We let the EPB auto release which I've heard doesn't help brakes, can it make this much of a difference to wear/longevity?

Also the brakes have always been pretty poor, have had to push pedal hard to get them to work since new.  Front pads and discs have plenty of life left apparently which also seems unusual. 

Really just asking for other peoples experiences.  Should we release EPB manually etc?  Is there anything dealership should check when replacements are put on or is this just something we should expect?

Try another type of brake pad. Aftermarket, you could have better luck, I did

I have a 65 plate 1.6d tourer. My rear pads had to be replaced at 33000miles. I am now on 70000miles and the original front pads have 5mm left, although I have told at the last service that the discs have a slight lip on them. I was also told that the car is heavy on the rear pads, partially aggravated by the EPB auto releasing. I manual release it from parked, but it still auto releases on hills etc

My 08 AVensis needed new rear discs and pads at 52K miles when 6 years old. My previous Avensis needed new front discs at 50k. Clearly not as long lived as some other cars.

Binding brakes... Easy test method: are the discs extremely hot after normal driving? If so, something has to be stuck on the brakes. NOTE! If the discs are hot, they may burn your fingers! So don´t touch, just feel the possible heat.

The more the brakes are binding, the more they get hot and the more they get hot, the more they are binding...

Second method (easier than jacking up): roll the car very slowly on horizontal lane or parking place and let it stop without braking. If the car stops smoothly and maybe rolls back a little, then there is no binding. 

• Thanks 1

20k miles from rear discs/pads seems poor. It could be that the pads are sticking in the caliper carrier or the EPB is not releasing correctly.

Toyota dealer will be v. expensive on these parts but you can use an independent. I have had good experience with Mintex brake parts over the years and a set of discs and pads for your car will only cost about £50  (part nos. MDB3036 pads and MDC2169 discs). Reckon on an hour to fit and lube the slide pins - its also v. important to clean the carriers where the pads sit.

I can say from my post this year, my rear brakes were changed after only 3 years, due improper installation.

I made sure they were done right this time, though I might check the sliders very soon. 

Thanks all for your feedback. 

Local garage (trusted but not main dealer) after looking said that dealership were being 'keen' on them needing to be replaced and suggested they'd be fine for a good while yet!  That said sounds like I'll be lucky to get to 30k!   Doesn't sound unheard of at that sort of mileage and have checked there is no binding so will just get them changed in a few months........ or before if they feel/sound any different. 

My EPB releases automatically if forward gear but not in reverse.  Should it release automatically in reverse?

1 hour ago, ighaig said:

My EPB releases automatically if forward gear but not in reverse.  Should it release automatically in reverse?

Yes. I checked to makes sure.
You should have made this a new subject!