Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Back Light

Josh.Eds

I have a Toyota Auris 2007 Hatchback.

When I turn on the car and turn on the lights, the rear tail lights wont turn on. I go to the back and take out plastic panels in the trunk/boot as if I was going to change the bulb and as soon as I touch the wire or the bulb itself the light turns on. But then the next day the light wont work again and have to go back and repeat the same process before driving at night.

The weird thing is, if I wiggle the wire or the bulb the light doesnt flicker or dim or turn off. So its not like it's a loose connection. It just wont be on and then when I go to turn it on, it stays on. Even if I turn the car on and off, turn the lights on and off etc. 

Any ideas/thoughts? Thank you!

Get a multimeter and test if there is power to the wire when you turn on the lights.

Do other lights works, break light, blinker, reverse?

• Like 1

It is odd that this is happening on both back lights.

When a bulb fails it is normal to expect it to be permanent, but if the the two ends of the broken filament touch together (vibration) they can temporarily weld themselves back together again for a while.  I have seen this happen whilst a plugged-in 'dead' bulb has been in my hand - a tiny spark and the bulb comes back on for a while.  That was a 15w bulb though, but on that size it was quite common to fail that way, this confused many owners as that car had a bulb failure warning which it would trigger, but when you stopped the car and checked at the bulb it was lit.   Perhaps yours are the failing in a vaguely similar (but weird) way?  In that situation changing the bulb stopped the problem completely.  Also worth looking at the bulb holder and bulb contacts for surface corrosion whilst you're in there. A tiny amount of WD40 into the bulb holder wouldn't go amiss.  I would put the applicator pipe into the holder and put a cloth over that it to stop squirting WD40 into your face!

For ease/cheapness, I would be tempted to change the bulbs for new ones anyway, at least they can then be ruled out.  The tail light is probably a W5W, also known as a 501, but worth checking that as I don't have your car.  They are cheap and widely stocked.

• Like 1

Thank you for your replies.

All the other lights work, but yes I think ill try changing the bulb and see if that makes a difference.

Ill get back to you after ive changed them. Thank you!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links