Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which snow tires are the best for Yaris?

PenJurva

Looking for new tires...

Im looking new snow tires for my Yaris and if you know good ones which are okay priced let me know... I've checked from nokiantires website but dont know their retailers. Looking also other brands if needed

https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/passenger-car/winter-tires/

None, never had to bother with them despite driving in snow to Buxton which has the highest elevation – about 1,000 feet above sea level – of any market town in England.

Im sure there are stats stating the benefits yadda yadda, but its down to the driver and of course the characteristics of the car (its at this point that BMW drivers skulk away, their ultimate driving machine being garaged during the winter months)

The lower power of the yaris, and smooth delivery of the hybrid make it easy to drive on snow and ice, just take it slowly and smoothly

Lol, the biggest mistake drivers do is to neglect the need of winter(cold tyres) in the winter season. Any car from any make, size or drive trains can be good to drive on snow as long as you have winter tyres fitted. Specially for Toyota hybrid cars is very important to have correct tyres for the season because some of those cars has traction control that can not be switched off, at least not with a button and even slightest wheel spin on both drive wheels will cut the power from the hybrid system means you are becoming permanently stuck and in a funny or perhaps dangerous situation. Any make and model winter tyres are better than no winter tyres, if you go to 

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/ 

you can type in your size and have a look, try to avoid budget ones and stick with mid range, Nexen, Hankook, Debica, Kumho, Sava, they all have choices. Or maybe you can look for all season tyres , Michelin, Vredestein and Hankook have really good one . 

Regards 

Continental winter contact TS860. Quite possibly the best tyre I've ever driven on in any vehicle in cold weather. I was the only vehicle to make it over the Snake Pass earlier this year in heavy snow passing all sorts of expensive 4x4's 👍

20190129_145346.jpg

20190129_152327.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 12:53 PM, bill.belfield said:

................. Buxton which has the highest elevation – about 1,000 feet above sea level – of any market town in England.

Point of order here, and completely off topic!

Alston, Cumbria shares the highest market town in England title with Buxton.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alston,_Cumbria

Princetown up on Dartmoor is at 1,500ft and is a town, but not a market town.  You could argue that it's not a town at all, as it doesn't have a mayor or a town council, but if you take the name "town" in Princetown, it's 50% higher elevation than Buxton or Alston.

Mick.

• Like 1

Nice one, most important thing in winter driving is the tyres, then sense, anything else comes second. Can’t wait for the snow, I hope we’ll get more this year. 

I've found Hybrids to be particularly good at keeping moving on snow/ice over the last 17 years, but the main reason I started using winter tyres about 5 years ago is that there is so much evidence (and demonstrations) that summer tyres generally perform much more poorly at temperatures below 7°C when braking or steering - variously 30-50% worse stopping distances on dry roads due the the rubber compound hardening in the cold.  Of course, winter tyres get going better too.  I don't often need to do unanticipated evasive manoeuvres, but prefer top be properly equipped just in case.

• Like 1

I checked those Continental snow tires but i think i would like to buy studded tires because it feels more safe for me... I'm not really the best driver in this world so that's why..:D

I have heard a lot of good things from this "Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9" and also Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 have good reviews. Here are the reviews

https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/passenger-car/studded-tires/ 

Cars with Studded tyres are tricky to handle on dry roads without snow, ice or dirt, you have to be extra careful. If you are not really confident driving in above conditions just get normal winter tyres, drive with extra care and you will be just fine, you don’t really need a studded tyres unless you live in North Pole 😊, even in Iceland are not allowed in summer months. Nokian tyres is a good choice. 👍
Regards 

On 9/24/2019 at 1:19 PM, TonyHSD said:

Lol, the biggest mistake drivers do is to neglect the need of winter(cold tyres) in the winter season. Any car from any make, size or drive trains can be good to drive on snow as long as you have winter tyres fitted. Specially for Toyota hybrid cars is very important to have correct tyres for the season because some of those cars has traction control that can not be switched off, at least not with a button and even slightest wheel spin on both drive wheels will cut the power from the hybrid system means you are becoming permanently stuck and in a funny or perhaps dangerous situation. Any make and model winter tyres are better than no winter tyres, if you go to 

Last year I was on an incline to a bridge where an Audi A5 was in front of me and stuck in snow, wheels spinning, car going side to side but not forward. I slipped my Auris Hybrid in reverse, backed up a bit, overtook him and made it over the bridge, no slipping, no sliding. He just sat there with hazards on, unable to go forward :lol: 

Never ever been stuck in any of my Hybrids, and I live on a hill where we get a bit of snow in winter 👍

Many years ago, we lived on the shores of Loch Lomond when I was working in the Clyde Submarine Base.  14miles each way commute, many of which was by bicycle. Winters were difficult.  I drove the car!

We had a Talbot Horizon back then, and coming north out of Helensburgh on my way home in the late afternoon snow, up Sinclair Street up over the Black Hill ....................... maybe some readers on here will know it  😀 ......................... the road was thick with snow and cars were struggling and sliding and having general difficulties and getting in the way.

I carried on regardless.  Cars sliding this way and that, and me in the Horizon were fine, and on our way home.

Why? ................. Our Horizon was the basic model with narrow tyres. 155?

The cars slipping and sliding had wider tyres.  Our tyres cut through the snow into the tarmac beneath.

Mick.

1 hour ago, Mick F said:

Why? ................. Our Horizon was the basic model with narrow tyres. 155?

The cars slipping and sliding had wider tyres.  Our tyres cut through the snow into the tarmac beneath.

Mick.

Exactly. I has an Austin A30 when a student. In 1967 got from Stonehaven to Turriff as last car through - narrow tyres. The Rover 2000 behind me got stuck in the snow and blocked the road..

Any car with wide low profile tyres is stuffed in snow..traction control or not..

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've used Vredestein Quatrac 5 tyres for the last 6 years on different vehicles and they're very good. Technically they're not what you're after as they're an 'all season' tyre but they perform very well in snow and ice (obviously driving according to conditions.)

There's a review here..

https://www.tyremen.co.uk/blog/another-win-vredestein-quatrac-5-all-season-tyres

I hope I'm not breaking forum rules by posting an external link?🤔

Nokian Hakkapelitta is great here in Sweden. We´ve got lots of snow and ice...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links