Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 2009 Headlight relay

Leo23

This May sound crazy but I have spent hours trying to find the headlamp relay in my 2009 Yaris 1.33 TR.   The owners handbook is no help, Google is unusually blank and I am struggling.  Any one replaced this relay can tell me where is is on the car?

thanks in advance.  

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Moved to the Yaris club.

Are you sure it has a headlight relay?

As an example of a vehicle for which I happen to have the wiring diagrams to hand here, a VW T5 does not have any relays at all for the headlamps - all the switching is done in the main lighting switch and the column stalk switch. Sadly I don't have the wiring diagrams for a 2009 Yaris to hand here...

There are 2 boxes under the bonnet the main fuse box (passenger side) and a relay box (drivers side)

What makes you think it's the relay ? have you checked the right and left headlight fuses, are both bulbs good? do you have side lights ?

take the numbering with a pinch of salt https://knigaproavto.ru/shemy/en/toyota/yaris/113-toyota-vitz-yaris-ii-fuse-box-diagram-20052011.html

3 hours ago, Yarso said:

Are you sure it has a headlight relay?

As an example of a vehicle for which I happen to have the wiring diagrams to hand here, a VW T5 does not have any relays at all for the headlamps - all the switching is done in the main lighting switch and the column stalk switch. Sadly I don't have the wiring diagrams for a 2009 Yaris to hand here...

I can’t find on the car or perhaps I just can’t tell which of the several relays I can see it is.  Websites offer them for sale so I am guessing it’s here somewhere.  

The high beam and side lights work but  the low beam doesn’t so I believe the fault must be both bulbs blowing at the same time (they haven’t) a fuse, the relay or switch.  I am trying to eliminate things.   Wish TOYOTA did a wiring diagram but I can’t find one anywhere for the 2009 Yaris 🙁

15 minutes ago, flash22 said:

There are 2 boxes under the bonnet the main fuse box (passenger side) and a relay box (drivers side)

What makes you think it's the relay ? have you checked the right and left headlight fuses, are both bulbs good? do you have side lights ?

Yes, checked both bulbs and fuses.

I have functioning high beam and side lights but no low beam headlights.  As both left and right low beam are out but all other lights work are out I am now guessing it’s a relay issue.  I want to locate and eliminate the relay before stripping down the switch on the steering column.  

My car is a right hand drive and I have found the internal fuss / relay box on the left side internally ( left side when sat in the car looking forward)  There are relays in there but I didn’t think ??? they are for low beam headlights.   There is also a fuse / relay box in the engine compartment, again left side of the car.  Again relays in there but none are marked as low beam headlights.  Are you saying there is another relay box that I have missed? I can’t see one in the right side of the engine compartment at all.  

they  do a wiring diagram but charge to access it, i will have a look for you

its a simple circuit, power - fuses for left and right - bulbs - Switch (stalk) - Ground

Its odd that its both sides, does the flash work ? does the car have day time running lights ?

How have you checked the bulbs ? If you tested it with a meter they may show continuity but be high resistance only way to test them is with a Battery

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

they  do a wiring diagram but charge to access it, i will have a look for you

its a simple circuit, power - fuses for left and right - Bulbs - Switch (stalk) - Ground

Its odd that its both sides, does the flash work ? does the car have day time running lights ?

I have triple checked.  There is only one fuse box (with relays in it) in the engine compartment on the left side of the car (when sat inside looking forward).  It’s next to the Battery.  

There is no second fuse box on the right side.  I believe that’s only fitted on cars with day running lights, which my car doesn’t have.  

If it’s a circuit without a relay as you say then I need to re-check the fuses.  If that doesn’t work I will buy a two new bulbs to eliminate the possibility of a fault there completely.  If that doesn’t work then I guess I need to replace the switch on the steering column.  

The headlights on low beam appear to be on a separate circuit to high beam.

Both side lights work.  Both high beam lights working. Both low beam lights failed at the same time so I guessed it was a fuse (but as the left and right side have separate fuses I initially thought that unlikely, in any case these have been checked and are fine) so that lead me to conclude it was relay fault on the low beam circuit.  As you say there are is no relay in the circuit it must be the switch on the steering column, which was my least favourite choice. 

Have you lost any other lighting (interior) ? not 100% but it may be worth checking the internal fuse box as well (behind the glove box)

Have you tried putting the stalk in "auto" mode, and covering the sensor with something to see if the lights work?

When you switch on the high beams, you can usually hear the relays click, if it's inside the car. I'm guessing low beams should be right next to, or same box anyway. 

When you turn the stalk on, and lights should come up, does the dash say the lights are on, is there the lights on symbol? If no, then it should be the stalk.

Anyway, looks that with, or without the DRL, the relay is the same, so you should check the one from the picture below, or at least have someone try if it clicks.

Or you can remove the relay and try to power it with 12V (or 9V) batter, to see if it clicks.

Dont know how many pins it has, but when you find out, you can check online to see which ones are power.

image.thumb.png.540d329d62d3dd8666a0754c0a5020f5.pngimage.thumb.png.180289d7bd6d055ce98c636756c1bde6.png

The only relay is for the drl's see my posts above the hi/lo's are all done through the stalk, did the mk2 even get auto wipers/lights ? if so its all controlled via the bcm

Flash 22.   You are spot on.  There are no driving lights or auto wipers / lights.  

Now I know I am not looking for a hidden relay and it’s a simple circuit, Battery fuse, switch and light I will go back to the start.   Re-check all of the fuses (because various fuse box diagrams seam to give different locations for the correct fuses!) Then I will replace both bulbs.  If that fails it must be the switch on the stalk.   

Thank you so much Flash 22, this has been driving me crazy with frustration. 

• Thanks 1

Fuse diagrams can be hit and miss if you haven't got the correct GSIC, the 1.3 and 1.33 where both built in France (FRP) and Japan (JPP) so there can be many variations

you may find this of some use

mk2 yaris hl.pdf

Flash 22 I can’t thank you enough for your help, you really know your stuff. Can you let me know a way I can contact you, I would some details so I can send you a little present as a token of my gratitude.  

That's what forums are about, if you want stick something in a charity tin

Dont forget the thanks button in the bottom right 😉 of any posts

I will make a donation to Macmillan Cancer nurses today as a thank you.   

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links