Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.6 diesel estate mpg

Simonh0407

Hi guys, searches haven’t shown much on this topic so can I ask please what is a reasonable expectation?

Car has done 46,000 miles, I haven’t owned it for long but am surprised by what the dashboard reading says at 34 miles per gallon ( flush rails but no bars or ladders to date).

Early days obviously but when compared to my old car (Focus 1.6 diesel estate with over 150,000 miles) this seems like a pretty low return. Especially given that my old car had bars on permanently as well as roof rails and ladders too about 50% of the time. Mid to high 40s was my usual return and my driving style hasn’t changed.

I’m asking in part as this engine sounds “tappety” which needs looking into, wondering if there might be an injector issue possibly? Tick over seems high too.

Engine noise is unaffected by air con (on or off) or by clutch (depressed or not) which I’ve read are things to be mindful of.

To get a more realistic figure, you need to calculate the consumption on a brim to brim basis, rather than rely on the computer readings. The Honest John  Real mpg pages show an average of 50 for the BMW engined 1.6, with a range of between 40 and 58.

What age was the Focus? 

The Auris will probably have more emissions equipment which will have an effect on consumption.

The mpg you after getting for your car is quite normal.  I have a 1.6 petrol and get similar mpg.  Petrol cars always give lower mpg than diesel cars. You will get high 30s to low 40s in the summer. In the winter I seem to get low to mid 30s. I drive mostly in the city so that may be another explanation.

3 minutes ago, Excel777 said:

Petrol cars always give lower mpg than diesel cars.

The OP's car is diesel.

Hi Frostyballs and thank you for your reply.

Focus was a 2009 1.6 tdci (Peugeot / Citroen DV6 engine) attracting road tax of £30 per annum (equipped with dpf) as opposed to the £20 per annum on the Auris.

Horse power was almost identical too, most relevant difference to my mind is this has a 6 speed box and the Focus had a 5 speed.

I am running it from full to empty as you’ve suggested as I don’t necessarily trust the dashboard figures, was wondering on others experience really. Will do more than one tank full too.

Will also be checking the free spinning of the wheels too when I have time.

Thanks Excel777, for comparison other diesel 1.6 engines would be my preferred comparison.

Thank you for your figures though.

• 3 weeks later...

Update for future reference.

Noise from engine bay was diagnosed as a faulty crankshaft pulley.

They are no longer a solid metal construction it seems, rather two metal components joined with some kind of shock absorption material or device to reduce vibration from the engine.

Anyway, that failed which explains the noise, I’ve  been reassured it is also the reason why the tick over was so high. ECU over fuelling to increase the revs in order to get more charge out of the alternator.

Effects on MPG will not be known for a while but fingers crossed.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links