Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice on replacing the hatchback bootlid struts?

olddriver

My main concern is supporting the bootlid while replacing the struts, I can prop the bootlid up with a pole but am worried about it slipping and breaking the window, anyone have any suggestions?

Additionally, the Haynes manual says ease off the clips with a screwdriver, any other advice?

It is a 1998 Corolla Hatchback.

Hi,

Replaced mine last year as they would not lift the lid fully.

They are retained by a spring clip what you ease off with a screwdriver or similar blade, (need a good light and glasses to see them !!)

Once one strut has been removed the lid is Very Heavy !  so do prop it or if in a garage tie it up to something.

Generally you see them referred to as different part nos for L or R ones, but generally they are the same, think its that the end fittings now rotate rather than fixed ?

I bought some eBay cheapies and regret it as they barely lifted the lid up fully, sometimes they do ok  other times they need a gentle push.

Places like SGS say theirs are good quality uk made , which are still cheaper than Mr.Ts, might go for them if mine get any worse.

34 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

Replaced mine last year as they would not lift the lid fully

I bought some ebay cheapies and regret it as they barely lifted the lid up fully, sometimes they do ok  other times they need a gentle push.

Oh dear, I bought the £15 a pair ones from eBay, I was hoping that they were redundant stock.  Toyota wanted over £200, and I didn't stop to ask if that was for one or a pair!

One strut went just before Christmas and the other 4 days later, so I know how heavy the lid is!

My garage is full of junk, so as I've got some tower scaffolding, I may put that up and tie the lid to it.

Thanks oldcodger.

Hi,

The struts are a common part used across many industries , not just cars, so yours will not be Toyota redundant stock.

Just like any other part, if its a good seller then you get cheapies flooding the market.

Like you I took a punt on the cheapies and partially lost, 

If you see SGSs site mine and possibly yours are about £15 each, plus they show you how to fit them

Easy enough to fit  in 10 mins once you have done one.

Would think its worth fitting your cheapies, they might be fine , if not  -

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boot-tailgate/toyota/corolla

• Thanks 1

Just get your brush and use it to hold the boot lid up.

• Thanks 1

Wot oldcodger said. SGS did me proud for my Focus. Not necessarily the cheapest, but good quick service ,and quality was perfect.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boot-tailgate

WRT the tailgate, the broom should be okay as long as it's long enough to lift it high enough. I have my doubts. 🙄 A couple of lengths of two by four, one at each side, would be a better idea because then you've got a backup in case one slips. Can you get a mate to standby in case of need? Even with one strut working, I wouldn't have wanted to cop the weight of that tailgate crashing down on my bonce.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Footnote -

Nutted myself on the tailgate the other day as the cheap eBay struts had not opened fully,  they never really seemed that strong , so ordered some from SGS and just fitted them in 10 mins and they  gave a reassuring sound as the door opened up fully.

At £36 delivered, they cost twice the price of the eBay cheapies, but at least they work properly ! well so far !

Just used a broom handle to hold open the tailgate, as long as you just do one strut at a time.

Old Driver - fitted yours yet, did you use the eBay ones  ?

Yeah, I had already bought the eBay ones.

A brush was much too short to prop the boot lid up high enough, I used the handle from a telescopic paint roller and poked it in the handle recess in the underside of the boot lid so that it could not slip out.  I found that the struts had to be precisely positioned at the maximum length to remove and especially to fit the new ones, as I could not compress the new ones by hand.  The prop needed to be about 57 inches, 145 cm, to keep the struts at maximum length.

Although the struts would not support the weight of the bootlid, they were obviously supporting some weight because after I removed the first strut, the telescopic handle suddenly slid down to its minimum length, but the end stayed in the handle recess.  Fortunately the minimum length was enough to still keep the bootlid partially open because I had my hands/arms in the gap!  I obviously hadn't tightened the handle grip enough.  I readjusted the length of the handle, and retightened it tighter.

At the moment the bootlid seems to snap into the fully open position, so hopefully it will be ok, but perhaps I will only open it when really necessary, and put shopping inside the cabin rather than in the boot.

It took quite a long time because setting the telescopic handle to the right length was tricky and the balls were corroded, so I used 500 emery to clean them up and put loads of boat grease on them and in the ends of the struts.

If I buy the SGS ones then I think that I would use a piece of wood of the right length.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links