Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Handbrake

Auris James

I have a 2015 Auris and went on a long journey all fine Saturday. Today I pulled away and there was a noise of the brakes/handbrake being on. Resistance then noise of them releasing, even though handbrake not on, as had released it before pulling away.

The disks after 2 days get very rusty and look old but still have plenty of life. All in green at last check. If handbrake shoes is sticking how much to fix at dealer. Guess brakes not covered by warranty. car has 26,500 miles.

James.

The handbrake operates through the regular brake pads.  I have had this happen to me if the car is left largely undriven after it has been washed.

I don't think that this is a problem that needs fixing, as such. Perhaps on your Volvos you had a small supplementary drum brake for the handbrake function?  In which case they'll never exhibit this trait.

Having said that, the caliper slider pins do like some silicone grease, particularly after 5+ years of not being done, I've noticed.  The caliper pistons themselves seem to have a grease on them from the factory, as spotted when I peeked under their dust boot.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Gerg said:

The handbrake operates through the regular brake pads.  I have had this happen to me if the car is left largely undriven after it has been washed.

I don't think that this is a problem that needs fixing, as such. Perhaps on your Volvos you had a small supplementary drum brake for the handbrake function?  In which case they'll never exhibit this trait.

Having said that, the caliper slider pins do like some silicone grease, particularly after 5+ years of not being done, I've noticed.  The caliper pistons themselves seem to have a grease on them from the factory, as spotted when I peeked under their dust boot.

Thanks. I'll see what it does tomorrow. On my Volvo 940 you have disk brakes all round. cant remember fully, but rear disks have handbrake function inside, probably with handbrake shoes. Not replaced  my own 940 brakes myself. Had disks and pads replaced all round 4 years ago.

What I find surprising on my Auris disks is how quickly the disk face starts rusting where the pad is in contact with the disk after 2 days standing and a slight grinding noise when braking initially. Look alright in the photos. Surface rust gone. I'll probably paint the calipers in the Summer and may fit new tyres as original to the car. Have 4.5mm of tread. May go All season? car needs a good clean!

James.

Front disk.jpg

Rear disk.jpg

No problem with rust forming over night or couple days. It’s only surface rust and will be rubbed off probably in first few hundred yards of driving.

• Thanks 1

All hybrids suffer from rust on the disks. This is because the brakes never gets hot enough to dry and clear the moisture that accumulate on them, especially on cars that are not in daily use or not driven a lot. Best way to prolong the life of your brakes is to clean and lubricate them every 1-2 years. The disks may look clean from outside but if you go under car and look at them you will see rust from the inner side, which is indication that you need to dismantle and lubricate the sliding pins, brush pads and shims, apply little lubricant on the pads , check the pistons , rewind them back to see if they move freely, measure the disks thickness and see if they are within specs  and put everything back together. It is a simple diy job, but there are some important steps to take before commence any work. I recommend you to watch some YouTube videos first to familiarise yourself. Most important thing is to disconnect the negative terminal of 12v Battery after the brake system has depressurised  itself, this will allow brake fluid movement through the system without damaging valves in abs unit, and will prevent unexpected pressurising of the system while Calipers are removed and possibly lost of fluid due to the pistons been shot out. I had changed twice the all 4 discs and pads because of the rust not because they had been worn out. 
Regards 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

All hybrids suffer from rust on the disks. This is because the brakes never gets hot enough to dry and clear the moisture that accumulate on them, especially on cars that are not in daily use or not driven a lot. Best way to prolong the life of your brakes is to clean and lubricate them every 1-2 years. The disks may look clean from outside but if you go under car and look at them you will see rust from the inner side, which is indication that you need to dismantle and lubricate the sliding pins, brush pads and shims, apply little lubricant on the pads , check the pistons , rewind them back to see if they move freely, measure the disks thickness and see if they are within specs  and put everything back together. It is a simple diy job, but there are some important steps to take before commence any work. I recommend you to watch some YouTube videos first to familiarise yourself. Most important thing is to disconnect the negative terminal of 12v battery after the brake system has depressurised  itself, this will allow brake fluid movement through the system without damaging valves in abs unit, and will prevent unexpected pressurising of the system while Calipers are removed and possibly lost of fluid due to the pistons been shot out. I had changed twice the all 4 discs and pads because of the rust not because they had been worn out. 
Regards 

Thanks for the info.

I think mine need a bit of lubrication as sticking again this afternoon from resting overnight when I went out in it today. Who knows when Toyota last serviced/cleaned the brakes/ calipers.

I'll do it soon. May ask how much Toyota charge as may not charge much as only had the car around 5 weeks.

James.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links