Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear tyre wear

bathtub tom

Fitted a couple of new rear tyres around 10K miles ago. Had the wheels off today and measured the tread depth as 1mm less on the outside edge compared to the inside.

I can't see any way the camber or toe can be altered, there's no sign of damage and the bearings are fine.

Any suggestions as to why they should be wearing like this?

Do you remember what was the condition of the old tyres, if ok then what may have changed has happened since. There are tracking systems that track all four wheels. Have you fitted new springs? if they are incorrect length, it can alter the camber.

Ah yes! I recall fitting the old rears to the front when the fronts needed replacing to wear them out (new fitted to the rear). I then had new fronts, so the current tyres have been in the same positions since new.

Rear springs (or shockers) never replaced and bushes look fine (6 years old and 40K miles). I don't see how different rear springs could change the camber on a solid rear beam suspension.

This thread looks relevant, if you do have a suspension misalignment causing uneven wear:-

I think you'll have to get this checked, otherwise you'll always be wondering what's going on.

A different car, but very similar suspension - Nissan Leafs sometimes suffered from rear suspension mis-alignment (if that is what you've got).  Eventually, Nissan accepted the factory's error and replaced the rear chassis members on affected cars!  How could they get it wrong in he first place?

On a slightly different note, I've wondered why in the US, owner's get their tyres swapped around at every service (so, sometimes that's at 5000 mile intervals), and yet here that part of a service has ceased to exist at any mileage.

I wouldn't be concern. My car tyres are usually like this due to cornering wearing the outer edges more. 

Speed humps do not help....

4 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Ah yes! I recall fitting the old rears to the front when the fronts needed replacing to wear them out (new fitted to the rear). I then had new fronts, so the current tyres have been in the same positions since new.

Rear springs (or shockers) never replaced and bushes look fine (6 years old and 40K miles). I don't see how different rear springs could change the camber on a solid rear beam suspension.

Yes, I think you're right about the solid beam. The disadvantage of solid beam is that as the car corners and rolls slightly, more wear will occur on the outside of the tyre, this maybe what you are suffering, less trackdays maybe.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links