Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.0 (1kr fe) Engine noise! Annoying!

tcheck

Hey!

I'm posting here as Aygo 1.0 has the same petrol engine. I've narrowed down the noise to engine (disconnecting belts still had the noise). 

Please check the video: https://streamable.com/zptejq

- It is most noticeable and loud when car's cold.

- Becomes less louder when car/engine is warm (but is still noticeable now)

- Check 0:22, the ticking sound varies a bit as RPM changes on idle. It is most prominent again 0:38.

- Drove 2,000+ km once this sound started, driving without any issues..

- Engine oil level is fine

Possible issues:
1. Valves/tappets? Had clearances checked and apparently they were fine

2. Timing chain or tensioner? Haven't checked the tensioner.. any videos or pics how to test the tensioner on 1kr - fe ?

3. Piston slap? Some say it's a possibility.. how to differentiate chain/tensioner issues from piston slap?

Despite the fact the Aygo also uses the 1KE-FR engine, the topic still belongs in the Yaris club - topic moved.

Use a mechanics stethoscope and pin point the sound, the lack of oil changes or incorrect oil will give you lifter noise

you had the lifters checked that wouldn't tell you if the lifters where working correctly unless you pulled the cams, if they had checked the valves they would have had to take the cam cover off (new gasket) they should have looked at the chain

5 hours ago, flash22 said:

Use a mechanics stethoscope and pin point the sound, the lack of oil changes or incorrect oil will give you lifter noise

you had the lifters checked that wouldn't tell you if the lifters where working correctly unless you pulled the cams, if they had checked the valves they would have had to take the cam cover off (new gasket) they should have looked at the chain

Didn't look at the chain..

With the belts off it still was giving this ticking sound. So something in the engine or the chain.

Any way to find out if it's chain related, or piston slap, or valves, without taking the whole thing apart.. I guess there's none, so a long process lies ahead.

"Use a mechanics stethoscope and pin point the sound"

If it's a chain I think like most cars they are more rattly at idle. Revving it he noise should lessen. 

How many miles on the engine?

To my old mechanics ears it sounds like tappets to camshaft noise , options.....if it still drives put up with it or fit a used low mileage engine as there are plenty about .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links