Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How to fix boot leaks due to failed rear light cluster gaskets

MrZardoz

On 8/12/2021 at 7:55 PM, ziauris said:

Pic once cleaned (Q: I will be applying roof and gutter sealant (butyl based) on the car where the gasket meets the metal of the car so the gasket seals properly. Is this sensible or should I ditch the gasket all together? Should I take the gasket off and put sealant on both sides of it so it is sealed both side (lights and the side that touches the metal of the car?)

clusteafter.jpg

i would only use a sealant if you dont have to remove the cluster to replace the bulbs

my preference would always be to replace the gasket even if i bought some foam

and made new ones from this material

i'd possibly try some of this foam

https://www.easyfoam.co.uk/zotefoam-plastazote.php

I just used the sealant as the bulbs are easy to replace without taking light unit out. I used sealant around metal where the gasket meets the metal car body and will see how it gets on. As the OP posted, remove the few boot linings to help do the job. I tried to do it without removing the lining and it was impossible to do, I lost a 8mm deep socket and got a few cuts.

I used silicone sealant too, not worried about removing the clusters as wd-40 can help if I need to. Just checked today my boot is super dry, I also have a dehumidifier bag left in just in case any moisture gets trapped, highly recommended to all Auris hybrids owners since any moisture or water in the boot can cause damage to the hybrid Battery. 👍

49A87357-9B55-4CB9-B297-AA9E6C66C903.jpeg

• 2 years later...
On 21/6/2020 at 1:49 ΠΜ, eygo said:

καλές πληροφορίες

αλλά προσωπικά δεν μου αρέσει η χρήση σιλικόνης για τη σφράγιση των φώτων που πρέπει να αφαιρούνται

Θα προτιμούσα να χρησιμοποιήσω μια αυτοκόλλητη ταινία αφρού όπως το παρακάτω στοιχείο

https://shop.stormflame.com/self-adhesive-extra-thick-foam-seals-black-35-metre-3973-p.asp?gclid=CjwKCAjw57b3BRBlEiwA1Imytlrpidj11lqSCuxyClA4n2CrWlHQnYQYQYQYClRJQnYQYlQYClWRXt zsQAvD_BwE

Good Evening How long does this product stay elastic? Also, if at some point the light needs to be removed again, how easy is it to get it out again? Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links