Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gear change indicator lights on info display

paulthetech

Hi All, New to Yaris this last fortnight. Just got a 2018 1.5 Icon Tech. Seems to drive perfectly well. Just one question for now: The info display gear change indicator lights were extremely inconsistent in when they came on - usually only when changing up from 2nd and not all the time. Didn't activate in other gears and never when needing to change down. I have been driving to try and get them to activate. Spoke to local Service department receptionist who told me that "the technician said they will only work when they're needed"

They now seem to not come on at all. The display does light up fully and correctly when I first turn the ignition on. The Shift and the up/down arrow lights then go out when the engine is started.

Before I go and stamp my feet with the Dealer, in case it's something I'm just missing, does anyone else have this or know what the actual situation is with this set-up, please. Other cars we've had (including an Auris quite a few years ago) all usually indicate a gear change far to early.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give

Other Toyota models have the same system, like my Avensis. If you drive efficiently and in the correct gear for most situations, the shift lights won't illuminate as much. So with a heavy foot on the accelerator, it won't show until close to the high rev's. I also see the downshift when in too high a gear. To see if the shift lights are working, drive a steady speed on a very light throttle. The up shift should come on. Apply more throttle and it will go out. Not say at 20 mph, put it in 5th gear and the down shift should come on. make sure the tyres are at the correct pressure, since rolling resistance can play a part, as can weight in the car, in addition to your driving style. See the following -    

If they still don't work, there could be an issue. Also mentioned, some drivers ignore the lights anyway!

Thanks Konrad, I'll try that when I get out of work later on. Yes I would ignore them too, preferring to go by "feel",  but I just wanted to check the correct working in case it became indicative of a more serious electrical problem cropping up. I'm of a generation that is pre-computerised control (and even pre-electronic ignition! ) 😂

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure this has any value but just following up; this is an '18 Yaris. Had it just about 4 weeks now. The extremely intermittent change indicator arrows are even less obvious now. Car was in the main dealers yesterday. They put 6 - 7 miles on the clock, recording on the service history as change indicators working correctly and no fault detected. Well, I still can't get them to light! Seems a bit of a nonsense when other cars we've had always seem to keep "advising" you to change gear. We've had earlier Corollas and an Auris, since then my wife has had Hondas and Hyundai. All of them worked in exactly the same way and initially had to make a point of ignoring them lighting up regularly. Can't believe Toyotas system is any different from other manufacturers. Guess I will have to condition myself to not keeping looking for them anymore 🙄 If anyone happens to find a definitive answer, that'll be great. I'm almost suspecting that it's a known "problem" but Toyota doesn't want the expense of a recall under their 5-year Warranty as it's not any kind of safety issue.

It works on engine loading get it up the rev range it will come on or to lower a gear at a low slow speed

tbh you're adjusting to the car

• Like 1

You must be driving well. If the indicators don't illuminate, you are driving to the engine load and conditions. Mine don't always come on, or illuminate unnecessarily. Don't let the gear change indicators be a distraction to your driving experience or the car. Not every car has this! Enjoy the car. 

The gear change indicators are an EU requirement intended to help drivers improve fuel economy. A 'driver aid', they indicate when it is appropriate to either change up or down to achieve good fuel economy. Depending how one drives, it is certainly possible to have the indicators only display occasionally, if at all.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your input. Appreciate your comments. Yes I'm going to have to ignore it and live with it - as I would have done anyway but it just bugged me that they don't work!

Went out last night deliberately to work this out. Lucky to have a long quiet lane near us so was able to do steady cruises and hard acceleration in all gears. Never got the lights on at any time. (Flash 22) Got 2nd gear almost to 6000 then bottled out of pushing it more. Always have driven by feel of torque, being an old bloke. Never have seen the lights come on when deaccelerating, even when getting to the point of stalling. Car seems fine in all other aspects, too, Konrad - for my normal short daily commute it's a step up from the 12 year old Clio I just got rid of 😂! Very happy with it in general though. Took the wife's Hyundai out earlier to run the grandkids home and those lights illuminated for every gear around 2250 - 2500 up and down! Again, thanks for your thoughts; think I'll have to let it go as one of life's mysteries 😉

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links