Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pcv Valve

grahmmie

Hi, I have a 1996 toyota corolla 1.3L 4E engine. I noticed whilst doing a well over due check under my bonnet on fluid levals etc that there was what looked like a slight oily patch on top of the engine around the PCV valve going out about 2 inches from the centre of the valve. The patch didnt look fresh. It looked slightly sticky. I'm not 100% it's oil anyway.

I did all the checks shown in the Haynes manual on the valve and it passes with flying colours. Car is in good working order and previous owner kept it well serviced. Had no engine troubles at all.

Does anybody know if this slight oily patach is normal?

In the Haynes manual after describing what the valve does it says "A slight build up of oily residue can build up on the throttle plate due to what the valve does so it's a good idea to keep it clean". As far as im aware the throttle plate isnt on the main engine block. It's where the other end of the tube connects (Or thereabouts).

The valve works fine and the rubbery gromet it sits in and the tube and clips etc are fine. This residue around the base of the valve has me confused. Does anybody know anything about that sorta thing?

Thanks for any help :)

I've had 2x corollas (1986) both weeped around the PCV valve. The rubber seal appears to harden with heat/age. I've never been concerned about this as the valves themselves have always worked properly.

Cheers for that :) Has helped to calm my fears it was something more serious. Thanks again :)

The Grommet hardens and slightly loses its seal on the valve. It's not really anything to worry about, but if you don't like the look of it then new grommets are only a couple of pounds from Toyota.

Rich

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links