Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla 06: Intermittent 'relay' noise dashboard

twmffat

Recently bought an 06 plate corolla colour collection 1.6 petrol.

Everything seems to work great, but I'm getting an intermittent noise from somewhere behind the dash.  Sounds like a relay (like fast clicking) and does not seem to change when I rev or brake or use fan/aircon/radsio/lights/wipers etc.  Just starts and stops - 

It can be days without a noise, then almost non stop.

Any ideas?

Hi,

Not a problem I have read about in the forum .

There are a few relays in the dash, so you could have a faulty one, though would have thought there would be some visual action cause by it ??

Wonder if its more like some partial obstruction in the fan /heater airways ? 

When making the noise, does altering  the temperature to high or low make any difference ?

Can you locate it to left , center or right of the dashboard ?

Thanks for the reply.

Not noticed anything I do to cause it.  Also I'vew not noticed anything not working or problematic when the noise happens.

Sometimes I think if I add an additional drain (like plugging a USB charger into cigar lighter) it starts, but not always. It also starts when I'm just driving without doing anything. 

I have changed fan speed and temp settings but they don't make any noticable difference.

Difficult to get location exactly, centre left is nearest.

Just thought..... I've not noticed it when stationary..... only moving (which is why I'm vague about location)  I'll see if I can replicate it when not moving and feedback.

Oh... I bought the car after it had been off the road for a couple of years (ie just standing) may be important?

Many thanks

Hi,

No experienced anything like that on mine,  perhaps if you removed the glove box, just one screw to remove on the little damper at the LH side and the box just pulls out /unclips.

That would expose the fuse and electrics boxes and blower fan, so if the noise was comming from that are it should sound louder.

If its been out of use for a couple of years, not serviced ?  then you need all the oils, filters, brake fluid and possibly the coolant changing as they are bound to be poor.

The Haynes service manual will guide you though all that.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links