Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2002 Yaris Verso 1.3vvti compatible replacement gearbox / Possible fix ?

costellon

Hi,

I have a 2002 Yaris Verso 1.3vvti and the worn synchro in the manual 5 speed gearbox has started to annoy me. At least I think it's the synchro and a few mechanic buddies have also told me it was - BUT - perhaps the diagnosis is incorrect and it's an easy fix ? Perhaps someone has had a similar problem and solved it by using other means ?

Sometimes it's very difficult to get it into first and sometimes first to second is difficult. I have checked and lubricated the linkages (perfect) and changed the gear oil twice (mineral and synth - no improvement with either). The clutch is brand new and properly bled. I bought it like this and have lived with it for almost a year, but it's time to fix it.

Does anyone know if my replacement gearbox has to be specifically from a Yaris Verso 1.3 vvti or are there any other manual gearboxes off any other Toyota that would be fully compatible / identical ?

Any other comments ?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

the oly way to tell is looking at the numbers on the gearbox iirc are on the front side of the casting

First thing: " it's very difficult to get it into first and sometimes first to second is difficult"

Has the clutch been bled?

It uses the same Reservoir  as the brakes but has a separate bleed nipple on the clutch slave cylinder.  

Bleed as bleeding brakes. But pressing clutch rather than brake pedal.

No-one ever bleeds the clutch but if you do a brake fluid change, it is possible this will introduce air into the clutch brake line...

Edit: been there, done it...

1 hour ago, Madasafish said:

First thing: " it's very difficult to get it into first and sometimes first to second is difficult"

Has the clutch been bled?

It uses the same Reservoir  as the brakes but has a separate bleed nipple on the clutch slave cylinder.  

Bleed as bleeding brakes. But pressing clutch rather than brake pedal.

No-one ever bleeds the clutch but if you do a brake fluid change, it is possible this will introduce air into the clutch brake line...

Edit: been there, done it...

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, the clutch slave and master cylinders have been flushed and bled, first thing I did actually - great minds think alike ... hehe.

Even when i'm having difficulty finding first/ shifting to second - if I pump the clutch pedal several times and hold it in it doesnt make any difference. I presume that the PO replaced the clutch thinking that that was the underlying problem with the difficult selection.

Thanks again

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

the oly way to tell is looking at the numbers on the gearbox iirc are on the front side of the casting

Hi Flash, I thought I replied to your post earlier, I must have hit the wrong button .....

Where exactly are the numbers stamped on the gearbox ? You said front side .... is that the radiator side ?

Thanks

It's either a C54 or C154 listed numbers are

30300-52081 or 30300-52082

numbers are on the front or top of the casting as you are looking at it from the front of the car

15 minutes ago, flash22 said:

It's either a C54 or C154 listed numbers are

30300-52081 or 30300-52082

numbers are on the front or top of the casting as you are looking at it from the front of the car

It'll be tomorrow before I can take a good look as the car has been commandeered for the evening by the powers that be. I'm presuming that I have to remove the air filter assembly and its under that ? I had a quick look earlier but saw nothing as the throttle body, hoses and the air filter assy were obscuring much of the gearbox.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Interesting thread. Just thinking of alternative (newer) gearboxes that would fit. Presumably there must be some compatibility between other Toyota gearboxes from the newer cars?

Perhaps not then.

Anyway, I've put one washer in the tensioning bolt as two were hindering engaging 4th gear.

will upload pics later

22 hours ago, corradovr6 said:

Perhaps not then.

Anyway, I've put one washer in the tensioning bolt as two were hindering engaging 4th gear.

will upload pics later

two pics - one showing the location of the bolt (just in case its not known), and the other with two washers on it (i then removed one)

20211001_180502_resized.jpg

20211001_180508_resized.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links