Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

P2002 Code - After a Long Drive?

Hadventure

This recent weekend I went to play in Cornwall (from Manchester) in my 2012 Rav4 2.2 D4D .

After 800 miles plus over the weekend (with some really good clear long runs) I was driving home on Monday night (no traffic so 75-80 MPH) and without any symptoms the Check Engine / Check 4x4 messages flash up together with the warning triangle and ABS / Traction Control lights.  I covered the remaining short distance home in Limp mode.

This morning I plugged it in and read error code P2002.  I have had a good read around but most I can find is the recall stuff (for what I believe are older Ravs). Anyway I've reset it today and will see what happens but should I be taking it on another long run to try and clear the DPF? If so what do I do differently as I did a good four hours around 75 (minus roadworks).  

Are there any other common things to do or check?

Many thanks.

I have a similar issue at the moment. Code relates to DPF pressure readings, so it could be clogged up DPF or It is possible that the sensor is faulty though.

I have spoken to a few mechanics now and I have a plan:

1.  Drive the car at 65 MPH along the motorway in a gear that maintains the revs between 3000-3500 for around 30 minutes to manually try and clear / force regenerate the DPF.

(This is higher revs than I maintained on my recent drive)

2.   If this fails I will remove and clean the EGR (as this can contribute to the DPF not regenerating), then add DPF cleaner into the exhaust ahead of the DPF (I will have to google where to get the DPF cleaner in unless anyone can direct me to a guide / video) and again try the regen.  Whilst under there I will check the sensors (although again I am not sure how to check these - so some more googling there).

3.  Return to the old drawing board

Which scan tool would do that? I have been looking at buying one.  At present I have borrowed a friends but want to buy one. I need one that will read both my cars (an Audi and the Toyota).  Can you recommend any?

You may find that you cannot drive it for long enough as it will possibly drop into "limp mode". It's worth a try though.

Same issue with my T180, same error code, cleaned the EGR valve as that was almost totally blocked, good for a few days then the P2002 code. Going into my local garage for a forced regen, which includes putting DPF cleaner in too, cost around £150 but saves the hassle. I tried the high rev option BTW, didn't work. 

Thanks for that...

i may well just put the cleaner in ahead of the drive then. Anyone know how best to inject the cleaner? jack up the car and remove the pre sensor??? Any pictures would be great!

Also does anyone know how to force a regen - which OBD reader do I need for this? Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links