Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

which auto is best petrol or diesel

stevo42

im looking for an auto rav4 upto 10k doing roughly 50 miles a day are there any issues other than fuel consumption that i should be aware of .and how have you got round the no spare wheel issue regards steve

If you are considering automatics from 2010 or newer there are no significant, model specific, issues.

As with any modern diesel with emission control add-ons you need to be doing reasonable mileages in order to keep things in good order - 50 miles a day, >12,000 miles a year is perfectly sufficient and doing that a D-CAT auto should return mpg in the high 30's.

The petrol auto is considered pretty bomb-proof so the only issue there will be the fuel consumption.

All diesel autos have torque converter boxes; later petrol autos have CVT boxes - which might put off some but I haven't heard any negative reports.

So for the mileage you say you are doing I would consider the diesel the better bet - but then I have one!

I don't have a 'no spare wheel' issue - the car was supplied with a space saver spare in the boot! 😉   But if you get one with a repair kit, and you aren't happy with that, you can always buy and carry a space saver or even a full size spare but you can't easily replace the repair kit with a space saver under the floor ...

Petrol for me, was told by a good friend of mine who runs a independent Toyota garage petrol ones like said above are bomb proof, diesel Rav will have at some point , turbo, ecu or clutch flywheel problem in his experience. Also said above only thing I don’t like about my petrol auto Rav is a lack of spare wheel, managed to get a space saver but no where to store it .

Petrol. With a catalytic converter it's cleaner than diesel.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links