Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2004 Yaris headlight beam vertical adjustment

rogereld

When I hold the back of the bulb, fitted in to the headlamp reflector, I can "wigggle" the whole reflector upwards. Is this normal?  It has just failed an MOT on both headlight beams too high and the hex adjuster screws will not bring them any lower.  I am wondering if the connections between the levelling motors and the rear of the reflectors are not properly connected, but I do not know how they should be when correctly fitted.

As the car has failed MOT because beams were too high and is off the road until the lights can be fixed, I could not wait any longer for a response here so I have lowered the front bumper and removed the headlights. My reply here is for the benefit of anyone else who may encounter this problem in the future.

The beam levelling motors were fitted in to the back of the headlamps without the protruding pin with the ball joint being properly clicked in to the "V" shaped channel on the back of the interior reflector. Gravity was keeping the reflector in position but the reflector could be pivoted upwards by hand when holding the back of the bulb socket.  The adjustor motors were working, but because the ball joint was not clicked in, the reflector was pointing higher than it should. When the manual adjustment on the hex screw was set at its lowest possible, the beam was just above the required level, with no further downward adjustment available.

I have re-fitted the levelling motor, ensuring the pin is clicked in to the groove. Now the reflector does not move when I hold the back of the bulb socket, and the beam can be adjusted lower.

• Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links