Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 2008 fuel economy

dilog

I bought a RAV4 Cross Sport 4x4 2L 4 months ago (90000km or 55600miles), in very good condition and the first 2 months the fuel consumption was about the expected, 7.6lt on motorway and 8.2-8.6 city driving. Now I left the car to a garage for 90000km service (equivalent to 60000miles) and after that the consumption increased significantly, approximately to 9.6-10.2 average value. They only changed spark plugs, oil and oil filter as well as air filter. 

What is wrong? Is it possible they may have me cheated? How? Where should I look? 

Don't know where you're located but lower winter outdoor temperatures will cause increased fuel consumption. A thicker oil grade won't help but I wouldn't have thought it make a big difference. Worth checking your tyre pressures as well as looking for binding brakes by touching your wheels after a run.

many thanks, I'll look for the brakes but its a mystery all happened after visiting the garage. Its not that cold i Stockholm, Sweden now, about 14 degrees Celsious.

Visiting the garage could be a coincidence.  I zeroise my consumption indicator after every fuel fill-up, and the reading has gone from 25mpg to 21 after the last fill.  The temp has gone from about 19C to 14C recently.  Nothing done to the car.

He's quoting mile per gallon, the bigger the number the better, while you're using l/100km, the smaller the number the better.

25l/100km?🤨 The car would need shooting...

I'm seeing an appalling 11 l/100km on my automatic just now, which is probably due to colder weather and lots of tiny little journeys because covid.

2 hours ago, Steve Earwig said:

He's quoting mile per gallon, the bigger the number the better,

Just so 😎

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links