Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Discovered a feature of the sat nav

AndrueC

I've long complained that the sat nav doesn't tell you where it wants you to go next. But today I've discovered that there is a way. It will show you on the dashboard. Go right one screen from the eco/mpg screens then use up/down and this cycles through compass/cruise control radar/sat nav. On the satnav page it shows an arrow and the next road is at the top.

And I've got to have a play with the editor because there's something screwy with the M6/M54 junction northbound. On approach the sat nav says 'Keep right and then keep left'. If you follow those directions you exit onto the outside lane of the M54. I think the map must be set up to treat the inside lane of the M54 as being a different road.

And what is it with it's love for the A41? I had to go and visit my ailing Dad today and on the way up to North Wales it took me on the A41 (I let it) but it tried to do the same thing coming back down. The A483/A5 or M56/M6 are far better routes.

• Like 1

Mine automatically shows the dominant 'option', so my turns come up, on the guages etc if satnav is running (possibly because I'm in digi dash display?)

It's not a bad satnav for routing, and apparently uses the tomtom engine. 

However,  for longer journeys I still use my tomtom app, as the car doesn't seem to get all the tomtom matrix data, only traffic. 

Hence even long term roadwork closures aren't visible,  and others are out of date

However routing apart from that, has been reasonably close to the apps.

I took a look at the map and it was showing the inside lane M54 slip as 'M54' but the outside lane slip as 'J10' and 'M54'. So my guess is that the navigation software had 'J10' as a destination so it avoided the inside lane slip (the first 'keep right') then directed me onto the outside lane slip because it was 'J10'.

Looking further part of outside the slip is labelled 10A/M54. So I've decided to label all of both slips as '10A/M54'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OXYGEN said:

Our navigations use Here maps, not TomTom.

Ah, that would explain a lot. 🤣

I obviously read incorrect info, oh well, definitely my app then , and apparently android are working with tomtom for future support in auto. 😎

Oh and for those who might not know how to edit the maps:

https://mapcreator.here.com/?l=52.6293,-2.0474,18,normal

It's actually quite straightforward for minor things like incorrect speed limits and road labelling. Drawing or modifying roads is a little bit more awkward but not too bad. It took me fifteen minutes to work out how to stop this showing as a through road:

https://mapcreator.here.com/?l=52.0589,-1.3285,20,normal

But next time anyone uses Here maps to go south in Banbury they should thank me :)

https://goo.gl/maps/XwtoagPyTDRTyJB9A

All edits get reviewed by their official team before being accepted so you can't won't get away with labelling your street as 'Fred lives here' :)

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 7:46 PM, AndrueC said:

And what is it with it's love for the A41? I had to go and visit my ailing Dad today and on the way up to North Wales it took me on the A41 (I let it) but it tried to do the same thing coming back down. The A483/A5 or M56/M6 are far better routes.

Have to agree with you. I prefer using the A483/A5 than the A41 coming from Holyhead to Birmingham. Did you ever time the difference between the A483/A5 v M56/M6?

10 hours ago, johnnylakes said:

Have to agree with you. I prefer using the A483/A5 than the A41 coming from Holyhead to Birmingham. Did you ever time the difference between the A483/A5 v M56/M6?

On Saturday coming back down (Llandudno to Brackley) it initially said I'd arrive at 19:12 (I left just before 4pm). When it finally accepted that I was going via the A5 it estimated at 19:24 arrival. I actually arrived at 19:17.

So there's nothing in it anyway. And without Covid keeping traffic low any variation is going to be swamped by congestion impacts. I should point out though on motorways and dual carriageways I generally sit at 60 mph in lane one only occasionally overtaking slow traffic. For a more typical driver doing 70/80 on those roads I'd think M56/M6 is likely to be a lot faster but then I usually let the sat nav pick the route and I think it defaults to ECO. A41 might be the marginally shorter route and of course is mostly single lane so more fuel efficient.

The main reason I sometimes go M56 is the lack of junctions to negotiate. It's 10 miles from my house to the M40 along the A422 then it's motorway/dual carriageway to within 5 miles of my destination. But it's a boring journey (the stretch from B'ham to M56 is particularly tedious). A5/A483 avoids the congestion issues of the A41 but is not as boring so that's my preferred route most of the time.

15 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

On Saturday coming back down (Llandudno to Brackley) it initially said I'd arrive at 19:12 (I left just before 4pm). When it finally accepted that I was going via the A5 it estimated at 19:24 arrival. I actually arrived at 19:17.

So there's nothing in it anyway. And without Covid keeping traffic low any variation is going to be swamped by congestion impacts. I should point out though on motorways and dual carriageways I generally sit at 60 mph in lane one only occasionally overtaking slow traffic. For a more typical driver doing 70/80 on those roads I'd think M56/M6 is likely to be a lot faster but then I usually let the sat nav pick the route and I think it defaults to ECO. A41 might be the marginally shorter route and of course is mostly single lane so more fuel efficient.

The main reason I sometimes go M56 is the lack of junctions to negotiate but it's basically a boring journey (the stretch from B'ham to M56 is particularly tedious). A5/A483 avoids the congestion issues of the A41 but is not as boring so that's my preferred route most of the time.

When Im driving that route Im usually in a coach or HGV. M6 as you said is one boring road and congestion in spots. A41 surface isnt great in spots and can be busy enough A5 is a good enough road. In the car Id be one to set it at 120kph. Getting approx 50mpg. Looking forward to getting the corolla over for a spin ag some stage. Curious to see if there is a difference in fuel between Uk and Ireland

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links