Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Difference between eco, normal and sport mode on car with 1.2 turbo engine

howkey-cz

Does anyone know what effect theese modes have on car with 1.2 turbo engine? I think that it somehow chages turbo behaviour, but can't find how exactly.

From my experience:

eco mode - turbo is off for a few seconds and when it's on, its power feels lower then on the sport mode ... maybe the same power as with normal mode

normal mode - slowest turbo response to depress the accelerator pedal, around 1s ? 

sport mode - immediate turbo response to depress the accelerator pedal, delivers most power

Maybe it somehow changes power and torque curve?

You may only get limited replies. The 1.2T was dropped in the UK when the 2020 range was launched presumably due to low sales ( 1,194 1.2T's sold to September 2020 compared to 28,199 hybrids - 4.2% of sales).

• Like 1

Well it’s more like throttle response that changes the behaviour of the turbo itself as turbo needs certain rpm to work, I don’t know how  1.2 t Toyota engine works but I guess will be similar to any other turbos. If the turbo has variable geometry then this can be changed electronically perhaps with the change of the different modes. In hybrid engines when changing the modes there is change in the power from the e motors if you have sufficient Battery in reserve, but even in eco mode if you floor it you will get all the boost you can, in sports mode just happens easier, faster throttle response. 👍

1 Normal mode Provides an optimal balance of fuel economy, quietness, and dynamic performance. Suitable for normal driving.

2 Sport mode Controls the transmission and engine to provide quick, powerful acceleration. This mode also changes the steering feel, making it suitable for when agile driving response is desired, such as when driving on roads with many curves. When Sport mode is selected, Sport mode indicator comes on. Vehicles with a manual transmission: When Sport mode is selected, the iMT will be enabled. 

3 Eco drive mode Helps the driver accelerate in an eco-friendly manner and improve fuel economy through moderate throttle characteristics and by controlling the operation of the air conditioning system (heating/cooling). When Eco drive mode is selected, Eco drive mode indicator comes on.

Variations to systems are described above, as for engine power and turbo function there is no difference or extra power or more boost all the system does is vary where on the throttle pedal a specific output is and using normal as a base eco requires more throttle input and Sport requires less throttle input to achieve an outcome.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links