Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

IQ 2 1.0 oil question

EastLondonGuy

Hi all,

does this oil from this eBay advert Id: 193715656609 work with the above vehicle? It’s 5w30 but it’s a specific oil for PSA group. 
here is a proper link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193715656609 
Please help and offer your advice. 
thanks. 

If oil spec is identical to Toyota spec, then fine. Otherwise ,no.

Others may disagree.

Why is this oil for PSA group cars only? I thought 5W30 is the standard, it’s like saying buy bog roll from Tesco but the roll is compatible for people who live in odd numbered houses? I’ve never seen oil that’s hard labelled for a specific manufacturer. 

24 minutes ago, EastLondonGuy said:

Why is this oil for PSA group cars only?

Does your owners manual not specify 0W-20?

Some oils are manufactured to vehicle manufacturer's specific recommendations - oils on sale which are to Ford, VW, GM, etc specs are available, though often own brands. For example Halfords currently sell oils made to Ford and Citroen specs.

Aside from that PSA use Total oils as OE fill.

Thanks. 
I will check my manual and revert.  But when looking for the real McCoy, check this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383038555593, it’s still 5W30. 
if the manual says 0w20 - who to believe, listings or the manual?

thanks. 

The eBay listing is for a company called eHybrid Ltd - a retail seller of motor parts and accessories - not Toyota or a Toyota dealer. So no more than a third party seller and who knows where they get their compatibility information from!

I suspect your owners manual may say that 0W-20 is the preferred oil. 5W-30 may be used, but should be replaced with 0W-20 at the next oil change.

As the manual is produced by Toyota, I would go with the manual.

All UK IQ running the 1.0 1KR and 1.33 1NR use 0w20 

Frostyballs and Devon Aygo - many thanks for political correctness and knowledge share. I shall invest in the correct manufacturer spec oil. Cheers. 

I've just received some oil as back up, the manual for the 1.0 we have states what Frostyballs has said. I've searched around and from an online retailer who's name mirrors that of a large rain forest. 5ltr of Petronas 0w-20w for £25!!  Bargain. As long as it meets the spec's, it should perform exactly the same as any other brand.

I've just had mine serviced at a Toyota garage and they used Castrol Magnatec Pro 05W30. This is a fully synthetic  oil. Also to bear in mind is the spec, there should be a recommended API, usually something like SN or similar. Magnatec is API SN.

Under Block Exemption Toyota cannot insist dealers use specific grades of oil, and some may use 5W-30. Nevertheless Toyota's preferred oil for the IQ is 0W-20.  The API requirement is either SL, SM or SN. See:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links