Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk2 1.3vvti starter issue

jamie spence

hi everyone I've got a 2006 yaris 1.3 vvti t spirit that has developed a starter issue. So won't start at all now checked the Battery only 6months old all good and holding charge. So looked at the starter. Took this off today and checked on the bench and the solenoid throws the drive dog and starter spins as expected it to no bearing play or chatter. Put back on car nothing? So tested solinoide switch cable for voltage on start and gives 12.5v so relay kicks in the stops current. Has anyone got a wiring diagram for the starter circuit or knows if the positive on the starter is a direct feed from the Battery so I could run a new lead from Battery to this terminal to rule out this positive being the issue. Thinking that if no juice to started then it wouldn't start. Any ideas or help would be good thanks in advance everyone

Completely dead in the car but works on bench

Clutch switch allows starter relay to switch and have  measured the solinoid switch output wire and its 12.5v is that what you mean?

3 hours ago, jamie spence said:

hi everyone I've got a 2006 yaris 1.3 vvti t spirit that has developed a starter issue. So won't start at all now checked the battery only 6months old all good and holding charge. So looked at the starter. Took this off today and checked on the bench and the solenoid throws the drive dog and starter spins as expected it to no bearing play or chatter. Put back on car nothing? So tested solinoide switch cable for voltage on start and gives 12.5v so relay kicks in the stops current. Has anyone got a wiring diagram for the starter circuit or knows if the positive on the starter is a direct feed from the battery so I could run a new lead from battery to this terminal to rule out this positive being the issue. Thinking that if no juice to started then it wouldn't start. Any ideas or help would be good thanks in advance everyone

Not sure what you mean by that.

Can you hear the solenoid energising? If so test the output terminal with a test light to ground, observe the strength of the glow.

Stanthman1 Right I've checked the clutch switch by putting in temporary bridge still not changed any. When fitted to car circuit you cannot hear ti energise. When removed and test on bench hooked upto a Battery and jumpering the possible to solinode switch input fire up and stats starter just not on car?

When the solinoide switch wire disconnected and metered while starting im getting 12.5v so the starter relay is kicking in sorrt shouldn't say stop circuit 

Check the condition of the solenoid connections, if possible test voltage with a test lamp or other low impedance measuring instrument verify both negative and positive independently.

I've tested the voltage with multimeter and positve is 12 and negative is also 12vokts just didnt want to go buying a new starter if the problem lies elsewhere

A multimeter will not always show a poor connection, a test lamp will pass current and glow brightly if the connection is sound. You can test both -ve and +ve by alternating the connection on the Battery eg Battery -ve to solenoid +ve then Battery +ve to -ve on solenoid paying attention to the brightness of the test lamp, compare with test on the battery itself. This test will tell you if both ground and power are correct at the solenoid. 

OK I'll try that again thanks for your help it very much appreciated 👍 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links