Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wing Mirror Retraction

Josiek

I have just purchased a 2019 Corolla. I only found out it doesn’t have retractable wing mirrors when I got it home & couldn’t get it into my garage with mirrors unretracted! My last car was produced in 2007 but has retractable wing mirrors!!! Why did Toyota produce a car 3 years ago without this much needed feature???

Unless you go to high-end marques, motorized mirrors are not usually a standard feature on any car, usually an option or a higher spec.

e.g. with mine the mirrors are only on the two highest specs.

I'll be honest this is something you really should have checked before buying if you needed it that much...

You might be able to retrofit them as they tend to leave the wiring in for things even if they aren't installed, but it won't be cheap...

An example of the above is the i20's we have owned. 

The first mid range (three trim levels) i20 had electric folding mirrors.

The second (new design - five trim levels) mid range i20 didn't, but they were standard on the range topper.

The third mid range i20 is the same as our second i20.

Yes, should have asked! I stupidly made the wrong assumption that all cars produced the last decade would have retractable wing mirrors. I will have to live with it outside my garage till I sell it, which will be a lot sooner than expected!

15 minutes ago, Angwyn said:

I will have to live with it outside my garage

We reverse our i20 into the garage. We fold the driver's side mirror when we're part way into the garage but before the mirror reaches the doorpost. We leave the nearside mirror unfolded, and use that to guide the car fully into the garage, and tuck in close to the nearside wall.

Whether you drive in or reverse in couldn't you experiment with this approach?  

• 6 months later...

Has anybody successfully converted their Icon Tech non-folding wing mirrors to the Design spec?

have found a Design spec Corolla breaking for spares so can get both mirrors and control, but not sure if harness would need upgrading, or are the unused connectors just hanging loose?

It is normal for one loom to be used across a model range as the alternative, i.e. a difference loom for every car is very expensive.

I’d still be inclined to check first though.

• Like 1

it's fairly complex. The door looms are different - the switch is different as are the plugs and wiring, iirc the mirrors also use different plugs

Edit, had a look at the mirror plug on the corolla they are the same for folding/non-folding - have a look at the plug in your car to see if its pre wired

Wiring diagram

E210 mirrors.pdf

3 hours ago, Stivino said:

It is normal for one loom to be used across a model range as the alternative, i.e. a difference loom for every car is very expensive.

I’d still be inclined to check first though.

Reminds me of the first Austin Metro I owned. It had everything in place to provide a reversing light except for the switch underneath the gear lever. It even had a bulb in the light assembly.

• Like 2

thanks for all the replies… I’ll dismantle the door panel and take a look at what’s there.. hopefully the 2019 model has the wiring installed.

you only need to pop the driver window switch out if its wired at the switch its in the loom

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links