Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Toyota is overheating

Donnalise

Dear all, I hope you are all fine. Three years ago I bought a second-hand 2007 Toyota Auris. At first everything was fine, however two years ago my car overheated. I took it to the mechanic and he changed its cooler, however I still have problems. It is mixing the oil with the water, and when I pour in the water and turn on the car the water level immediately goes down. Could you be kind enough and share your views on what I should do to solve the problem? 

Have a nice week. 

Regards, 

Donnalise 

Which engine do you have, and petrol or diesel?

What model Auris is this?

Engine size?
Year model

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

Unscrew the cap used to fill car with oil, is there a mayonnaise like substance on it?

Looks like the head gasket is gone if the water level drops and there is mixing of water and oil in the radiator. Look at the radiator water level, is there oil mixed fluid. Look at the exhaust, is there white smoke?

Dear all, I apologize for the lateness of my reply. I would like to thank you all for the replies. I'm afraid that I am not really knowledgeable in cars. I have a Toyota 2008 Auris Hatchback. In the previous message I made a mistake, it was 2008 not 2007. It has an engine capacity of 1998 and it runs on Diesel. Before I changed the cooler the substance was like mayonnaise, however now it is not. My father is going to change the water to verify if there is a mixture of oil and water. Is this a good idea? 

Thanks again. 

Regards, 

Donnalise 

Mayonaise like substance on the oil filler cap indicates that the coolant is going into the engine.

If you suspect there is oil getting  into the coolant, take off the cap from the coolant top up reservoir, and smell it, it should smell like oil. You can also try starting up the car, and revving the engine, and see if there are bubbles appearing in the reservoir.

In any case, fix for both should be a new head gasket. Also keep in mind that it might be possible that the cylinder head (part that goes on top of the head gasket) could be warped due to heat, and would need to be evened out by a machine shop. I doubt this is the case, otherwise your issue would be more obvious.

Dear Dean, thank you for your reply. Yes, bubbles do appear when I revive the engine. If I only have to change the head gasket it would be a relief because I was afraid that I had to change the whole engine. 

Regards, 

Donnalise 

So it's a headgasket issues. It's a known issue that occurs when car overheats. I guess your mechanic hoped it would be fine, and just changed the radiator.

Feel free to wait for what others might say, but i guess they will agree with me.

As for the topic, you said car overheated once  2 yrs ago, but you did not mention if it still overheats, the post is a bit puzzling, so do clarify that.

Good morning, I apologize for not being clear in my previous messages. It overheated 2 years ago, but it seems as if it is doing it again. Even though the temperature is not going up, whenever I put in the water and I revive the engine, the water level goes down immediately and small bubbles appear. 

I would like to thank you all for your help and I would like to wish you all a nice day.

Regards, 

Donnalise 

Check the oil levels in the car, if the oil is way up high, it means there is water inside of the car. Also check if there is a steam out of the exhaust (more than usual for winter).

I think you should be fine with new head gasket, it should sort out the issue. The coolant levels should stay normal after that.

• Like 1

When you say the "cooler" was replaced, to what are you referring?

Dear all, thank you for your advice, especially you Dean. I really appreciate it. 

If I'm not mistaken it is the oil cooler, it was a rectangular metal-like box. I'm sorry but I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to car parts. 

Have a good night. 

Donnalise 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links