Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


New Gearbox and Clutch Fitted: Very lose and smooth gear changing. Is this normal?


Recommended Posts

So I just recently got a new gearbox and clutch fitted alongside a new driveshaft replacement (all covered under warranty) about 1 month ago. I have noticed since driving it since, changing gears is very smooth and feels very light. Is this normal and does this mean that my gear changing is good? 

I am still learning about cars so I am just wondering if this is normal for gear changing to feel like this? My clutch pedal is nice and light when pressing down. Doesn't appear to be spongy. 

I have heard that it takes a while to "break in" a new clutch/gear system, is this also true? 

Thanks! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

no clutches and gearbox's dont need to break in

smooth and light sounds good ?   no crunching or problems selecting the gears? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Rachel, and welcome to the Toyota Owners Club.

What was the problem such you got all that work done under warranty????

What you now experiencing is how a good setup should be.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

All commands of the Aygo feel particularly light: steering wheel, pedals... it is normal, you can drive with 2 fingertips and press the pedals with your tiptoes. I personally prefer cars that offer more resistance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Catlover said:

What was the problem such you got all that work done under warranty????

The replacement of the clutch and sometimes the gearbox on the mk2 is not as frequent as on the mk1, but it is still very common.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

no clutches and gearbox's dont need to break in

smooth and light sounds good ?   no crunching or problems selecting the gears? 

Yes no crunching of the gears so all ok? 

Just wondering as I had an old Vauxhall Corsa before my Toyota and the gear changing was really stiff but the car had done 90k. 

Thank you for clearing that up! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, zuh said:

Hi,

All commands of the Aygo feel particularly light: steering wheel, pedals... it is normal, you can drive with 2 fingertips and press the pedals with your tiptoes. I personally prefer cars that offer more resistance.

Ahhh I see. 

I have never driven an Aygo till now so feels quite different from my old corsa! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Hi Rachel, and welcome to the Toyota Owners Club.

What was the problem such you got all that work done under warranty????

What you now experiencing is how a good setup should be.

Thank you! 

The clutch seized up when I got my Aygo which could have been down to the previous owner perhaps but everything is working very good now. 

Okay thats great! Thanks for replying. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership