Do Not Sell My Personal Information

E210 Speakers upgrade

Hi,

Nobody finds the stock Speakers exactly vibrant and exciting.... The rear ones are specially bad as we can't hear them on the front seats, the sound is always in front of us. Even the JBL version isn't considered a great piece of engineering...

I've seen some people replacing the OEM Speakers for some aftermarket ones and swearing for the results. Something with good frequency response and high sensitivity will do the job, or am I wrong?

As far as I could research, the base (non-JBL) system is composed by the Head Unit, 1 small tweeter on the driver's side dashboard, 1 tweeter + 1 midrange on the opposite side of the dashboard and one 6,5" woofer on each door.

First mod I've seen was replacing the OEM dashboard tweeters with larger (3,5") 2 way Speakers (JBL club 3020) and a crossover to cut the lows on this one.

Did someone already tried something like this or is thinking of improving the sound?

I would prefer not to add subwoofers, DSP and amps.

IMG_20210421_192241.jpg

IMG_20210421_192548.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've run some tests at Crutchfield simulator and watched as much youtube comparison videos I could grab,

I'm leaning to buy a set of Focal Performance Series Polyglass. Coaxial PC165 for the rear and separate components PS165V1 for the front. High sensitivity in order to be driven from the 18W Head Unit.

Vibration damping material would be applied to the doors (expensive material!)

Any love our hate on this Speakers?

It is true that OEM Speakers are really poor. But they need to be due the lack of head units power. 

I have done some upgrades and I’m quite happy how it turned around in the end. First I damped doors. That made Oem setup sound lot better. Second try was to replace rear Speakers with high frequency (but cheap) JBL Speakers (cannot remember the model). This was mistake. There was not enough power in the head unit and upgrade made sound worse. Third phase that really made difference was to install Alpine PWD-X5 in to the trunk. Subwoofer was what it needed and it also gave enough power to make rear Speakers to play. Of course dsp made it possible to adjust the Speakers one by one how I like them. 

So I would say there is no easy (or cheap) solution. But if you are into good sound quality it’s worth it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I see you are saying there is not enough power from the head unit, is there a way to upgrade the head unit? Or an adapter that could work?

On 5/14/2021 at 10:59 PM, tsk said:

It is true that OEM speakers are really poor. But they need to be due the lack of head units power. 

I have done some upgrades and I’m quite happy how it turned around in the end. First I damped doors. That made Oem setup sound lot better. Second try was to replace rear speakers with high frequency (but cheap) JBL speakers (cannot remember the model). This was mistake. There was not enough power in the head unit and upgrade made sound worse. Third phase that really made difference was to install Alpine PWD-X5 in to the trunk. Subwoofer was what it needed and it also gave enough power to make rear speakers to play. Of course dsp made it possible to adjust the speakers one by one how I like them. 

So I would say there is no easy (or cheap) solution. But if you are into good sound quality it’s worth it. 

Just received the damping material that I'll use on the 4 doors. It certainly make a nice difference. The problem with the head unit low power is that one need very efficient Speakers, let's say, sensitivity above 92dB/W, otherwise it will not have volume. The Focal Polyglass I've ordered have 92.5 for the component kit and 93.6dB for the coaxials (rear). If I found that's not enough I can add an amp later, there are lot's of nice Class D amplifiers that are small and not too expensive. An amplified subwoofer is also an option but I'd prefer not to add too much stuff.

23 hours ago, Goldentrees said:

I see you are saying there is not enough power from the head unit, is there a way to upgrade the head unit? Or an adapter that could work?

You can change the head unit but to find one compatible with all the other stuff (rear camera, car information, android auto/apple car play) it will be at least expensive. The easiest way is to add an amplifier (like in the JBL audio grade option).