Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rubber part fallen off under rear suspension

AndyDonny

This little thing dropped off my corolla after a bit of a bang,had to be taken home on breakdown lorry,was too noisy to drive,suspension seems ok,driver if I replaced it would be ok its like a buffer of some sort,anyone had experience of this?it's about 4 inches long

20210612_154054.jpg

Looks like a big bump stop, I have one fell off too but the car didn't drive any different. I only realized it when washing the car. It was trapped inside the suspension spring.

Yes, its a 'bump stop' .  Its actually fixed to the underneath of the chassis, its not a 'moving part'  of the suspension. Its function is to stop the moving parts of the suspension hitting the underneath of the body of the car, either due to the car being grossly overloaded or if you hit an object at speed, for example a road hump. In normal motoring it doesn't actually do anything, its a preventive device. Look under your car at the other side and you will see its twin, near to where the rear spring fits to the car body. For normal driving you will not notice anything different. It has just split apart from its mounting plate, probably held on by a couple of bolts.  An easy fix. 

Oh well I heard this big crunch,thought it was a tire gone but found this underneath,very noisy to drive,must be something else wrong

2 minutes ago, MickJo said:

Yes, its a 'bump stop' .  Its actually fixed to the underneath of the chassis, its not a 'moving part'  of the suspension. Its function is to stop the moving parts of the suspension hitting the underneath of the body of the car, either due to the car being grossly overloaded or if you hit an object at speed, for example a road hump. In normal motoring it doesn't actually do anything, its a preventive device. Look under your car at the other side and you will see its twin, near to where the rear spring fits to the car body. For normal driving you will not notice anything different. It has just split apart from its mounting plate, probably held on by a couple of bolts.  An easy fix. 

Thanks for that,I'm getting  screening sound,think something else wrong maybe

58 minutes ago, AndyDonny said:

Thanks for that,I'm getting  screening sound,think something else wrong maybe

You should change all rubber parts now since they will be equally worn 

1 minute ago, Biomecanoid said:

You should change all rubber parts now since they will be equally worn 

Cheers

Well done a fair fit of suspension and brake work under our 2006 model and never seen any external bump stop ?

Looking on some Toyota suspension diagrams no mention of of any bump stop either ?

Are you sure its actually from your car, could it be some debris that the wheel has thrown up ?

If taken to a garage  what do they say is wrong with the car ?  something else trapped on the suspension or brakes  or an internal fault like engine or gearbox?

• Like 1

Screeching - either a wheel bearing or a seized caliper

not sure where that come from as the corolla has McPherson struts all around and the bump stops are part of the shock - you could have run over something

any part numbers or markings on the rubber ?

On 6/14/2021 at 9:16 AM, oldcodger said:

Well done a fair fit of suspension and brake work under our 2006 model and never seen any external bump stop ?

Looking on some Toyota suspension diagrams no mention of of any bump stop either ?

Are you sure its actually from your car, could it be some debris that the wheel has thrown up ?

If taken to a garage  what do they say is wrong with the car ?  something else trapped on the suspension or brakes  or an internal fault like engine or gearbox?

You are right,took it in to garage bump stop was not mine,must have hit it and it got caught up in the wheel damaging some brake shoe clips,that was the noise

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyDonny said:

You are right,took it in to garage bump stop was not mine,must have hit it and it got caught up in the wheel damaging some brake shoe clips,that was the noise

Similar things happens to me very often, last week I run over a chunk of rubber left from lorry tyre explosion, the peace went under the car , hit something metal with a loud bang and then went into the rear arch small plastic spoiler and had it half way out, thankfully Didn’t loose it and I have some spare clips in the car and re attached shortly after. 👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links