Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota rav4 2.2 177ps vs Mazda cx7 2.3 260ps

beast_hd

Нello to all members.Im considering between these two suv.Can you tell which one is more cheap to maintain.And which one has better 4x4?

You’ve not indicated which two cars you are comparing?

Rav4 diesel 2.2 dcat 177 ps, and mazda cx7 petrol 2.3 260 ps.

So first you wanted a fast car in the other thread, now it’s cheapest to run and best 4x4? Neither is anything other than a soft roader by true 4x4 standards as they lack ground clearance.

Both of them are AWD. I guess its a option to have AWD. The RAV4 has less horsepower but the Mazda has 380 Nm while the RAV4 has 400 Nm. Which is impressive that the RAV4 has less way power but more Nm. The RAV4 should be faster in the low revs but the Mazda is faster when the rpm is high. I would rather have taken the 2,2 D-CAT RAV4 177HP because it has a way better engine and gearbox.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, beast_hd said:

Нello to all members.Im considering between these two suv.Can you tell which one is more cheap to maintain.And which one has better 4x4?

As a 4x4, what do you want to do with the car? What are your expectations?

Hi to all.You are right.I will go whit the 2.2 dcat rav4 engine.Have you drive one?The dcat can accelerate from 0 to 100 in 9.0 seconds.Thats pretty impressive for a suv.Is it the that the rav4 drives like a camry(normal car)?

It drives more like a car than a traditional 4x4 (because it’s not), but 0-100Km in 9 seconds is not what I would consider fast, something that is actually fast is probably around the 3-4 second mark, but that’s not why people buy a RAV.

If you want a fast 4x4 of that era look at a BMW X3 3.0d or better 3.0sd.  The 2.0d had 180bhp but weigh nearly 300kg more than the RAV4.  Both the X3 and the Toyota have impressive cornering and both were criticised for harsh rides especially with run-flat tyres, which most owners have dumped.

The Toyota DCAT engines 2006-2009 have well documented problems, it is not easy to recommend one.

I have one since new, I'm quite happy with it, but I have to be as my personal situation makes it more difficult (more expensive) to change it for anything else.  As it is now 13 years old with 180 000km, it gets outrun by a lot of things on the road these days, as most people add another 30-50bhp by changing the turbo chip. I didn't.

I'm really sure the Rav4 177 Dcat can do 0-10 in 7 to 8 seconds. A front wheel drive Dcat Avensis can do 0-100 in 8 seconds and 7 seconds if you change gears right and the Rav4 being a 4WD drive car it can do it faster! The D4D and DCAT engines do tend to smoke and get poor mpg when the have driven 300000 km. When you are looking at a Rav4 to buy make sure to drive it until the engine is warm and see if it smokes when you floor it. Also check the mpg and see if it lives up the claimed range. But the problem is rare and only models under 2012 had this issue.

And D4D and DCAT engines can take chiptuning without any problems.

• Thanks 1

It’s booked at 9 seconds in T180 (174bhp) guise, that’s including AWD.

Rly? Thoose Toyota claimed 0-100 times are not correct. I have timed my 2.0 D4D Avensis at 8,8 seconds while Toyota says it its doing 10 sec and the 177 DCAT Avensis is claimed doing 8 sec. The Rav4 with the same 177 hp engine must be faster than the claimed 9 seconds, but i guess its computer controlled so it makes the car slower. I bet those people who timed those 0-100 at Toyota must be really slow at gear changing.

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2021 at 10:52 PM, Ikram Shahar said:

I'm really sure the Rav4 177 Dcat can do 0-10 in 7 to 8 seconds. A front wheel drive Dcat Avensis can do 0-100 in 8 seconds and 7 seconds if you change gears right and the Rav4 being a 4WD drive car it can do it faster! The D4D and DCAT engines do tend to smoke and get poor mpg when the have driven 300000 km. When you are looking at a Rav4 to buy make sure to drive it until the engine is warm and see if it smokes when you floor it. Also check the mpg and see if it lives up the claimed range. But the problem is rare and only models under 2012 had this issue.

And D4D and DCAT engines can take chiptuning without any problems.

Thank you very much.Thats very fast.

On 7/10/2021 at 11:45 PM, Ikram Shahar said:

Rly? Thoose Toyota claimed 0-100 times are not correct. I have timed my 2.0 D4D Avensis at 8,8 seconds while Toyota says it its doing 10 sec and the 177 DCAT Avensis is claimed doing 8 sec. The Rav4 with the same 177 hp engine must be faster than the claimed 9 seconds, but i guess its computer controlled so it makes the car slower. I bet those people who timed those 0-100 at Toyota must be really slow at gear changing.

If this is true that's really fast for a cheap suv.I consider that the 177 ps have a lot of power in it.Its 400 NM.

A very close friend of mine wants to buy a outlander 2.0 turbo.Whats your opinion?

I don't know much about outlanders. I know they are great crossovers and they come with 2.0 turbo 150 hp combined with a CVT doing 0-100 in around 9,5 sec. Since its a japanese car it shuold be reliable. Not like Toyota or Lexus but better way than germens. I don't really like Cvt gearboxes so would not personally buy one.

8 hours ago, Ikram Shahar said:

I don't know much about outlanders. I know they are great crossovers and they come with 2.0 turbo 150 hp combined with a CVT doing 0-100 in around 9,5 sec. Since its a japanese car it shuold be reliable. Not like Toyota or Lexus but better way than germens. I don't really like Cvt gearboxes so would not personally buy one.

Thank you for your quick respond.I think like you.It's not possible the dcat from 0-100 is 9 seconds. It's way faster.I read that the dcat are really powerful and elastic engine.When you floored does you stick to the seat?

The 0-60mph or 0-100kmh is not the statistic you should look at for a diesel.

In-gear acceleration using the torque is what diesels are great for and can often be better than much more powerful petrols at 

Agree in previous diesel cars I’ve owned I’ve always been impressed in the cars ability to give “overtaking” acceleration.  Petrol engines cars most often have such a restricted torque band and the power at maximum engine revs. My PHEV gives an impressive torque band even though Toyota will not spec the overall effective torque just the individual components.  (Strange as they happily give you an overall power rating)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links