Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1ZR-FAE spark plugs torque setting

Goran3456

Hi does anyone know a correct torque setting for Denso SC16HR11 spark plugs for Valvematic engine 1ZR-FAE? I have found a bunch of different info and I don't know which one is right.

Hi, a popular torque settings for Toyota engines spark plugs are 25Nm., this is for the hybrid version but these two engines are very similar and use the same spark plugs. 

• Like 1

Plenty of info from Denso about torque settings for their plugs.

000696.jpg

000695.jpg

• 2 months later...

Just checked my spark plugs today (after discovering shoddy rear brake job by the so called pro's) I thought I'd better check me spark plugs, as they were done at the same service about a year ago. Been lazy these days with my Auris.

The 1st was barely screwed on, 4th one was really, really tight, middle two were fairly tight. The tighter the plug was the darker the thread was and burn marks on the porcelain bit, unfortunately 1st one took the picture while in the socket.

I've applied bit of electrolyte grease to tip of the coil pack and torqued it to 25Nm, as per the service manual, even that feels like an over kill but at least they are now even.

20210906_184458.jpg20210906_184447.jpg20210906_183636.jpg20210906_183354.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, roks said:

Just checked my spark plugs today (after discovering shoddy rear brake job by the so called pro's) I thought I'd better check me spark plugs, as they were done at the same service about a year ago. Been lazy these days with my Auris.

The 1st was barely screwed on, 4th one was really, really tight, middle two were fairly tight. The tighter the plug was the darker the thread was and burn marks on the porcelain bit, unfortunately 1st one took the picture while in the socket.

I've applied bit of electrolyte grease to tip of the coil pack and torqued it to 25Nm, as per the service manual, even that feels like an over kill but at least they are now even.

20210906_184458.jpg20210906_184447.jpg20210906_183636.jpg20210906_183354.jpg

25 Nm correct, same torque settings are for the oil filter, which is just as it’s stops spinning and you are done. Hope previous mechanics didn’t over tighten it because this is often the case, once I had to use 80cm breaker bar to undo my  filter, even I broke the special tool for that job. 🤭

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Too little torque can cause the spark plugs to run hot and cause pre-ignition, difference in colour could well be due to the temperature differences.
Advantage of tightening by torque measurement is that when refitting they will be tightened correctly every time; if you tighten by turns, when refitting they usually need less turns to get the correct torque.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links