Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New 2021 C-HR

AndyRC

Hi

We collected our new 2021 C-HR 2.0 Excel this week and very happy so far. It will be mainly used by the wife for business doing 15/20k a year with a mix of motorway and town / city. We needed a car quickly and the choice was a wait for a factory order for GR Sport with electric seats , or an Excel with them as standard in 2 weeks , the Excel won and the slightly softer suspension was another plus over the GR. We really liked the Decuma grey, I was a little unsure about the dark chrome alloys rather than the diamond cut from last year but now the car is here I really like them. We had a decent test drives courtesy of our local Toyota dealer who couldn’t have been more helpful,  gave us the keys and said take as long as you want, 60 miles later we were both happy to sign. The wife likes an upright SUV driving position and the C-HR is good for her, the drivetrain is very smooth and the steering light, a very relaxing car to drive. If we get 50 mpg long term we will be happy, will be keeping accurate records for business use so will be able to report back in due course.  Setting up phones and Apple CarPlay was straightforward and other than a minor hiccup with a setting on Waze a very easy  car Ito get to know. 

Andy 

3C92ABDC-AA04-4B2C-9B28-9CA02F5660AF.jpeg

• Like 6

Nice car! I have a Yaris in Decuma Grey, looks good.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mikw said:

Nice car! I have a Yaris in Decuma Grey, looks good.

Thanks. I thought DG was a bit dark in the showroom but it’s great in daylight. 👍

• Like 1

We brimmed the tank when we got the car and have just gone through the first tank of fuel , the fuel light came on so I filled up straight away. What came as a (pleasant) surprise was I could only get 34 litres in , which on a 43 litre tank (according to the handbook) is 9 litres on reserve , is this what other folk find?  As for fuel consumption the on board computer was saying 57.1 mpg over a mix of motorway , hilly cross country and local around town stuff with air con on most of the time. When I calculated it came out at 58.4 mpg which is the first time I’ve had a car return better figures than the on board computer. So far we’re very pleased with the car in every way.👍🙂

• Like 2

Yes. The low fuel light is designed to come on when the reserve is hit. The reserve varies between models.

5 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Yes. The low fuel light is designed to come on when the reserve is hit. The reserve varies between models.

I’ve no problem with still having 9litres to go when the reserve light comes which is about 20% , car was saying 34 miles range left but at nearly 2 gallons it should have been capeable of well over 100 miles , but better safe than sorry. 

3 hours ago, AndyRC said:

I’ve no problem with still having 9litres to go when the reserve light comes which is about 20% , car was saying 34 miles range left but at nearly 2 gallons it should have been capeable of well over 100 miles , but better safe than sorry. 

That’s right, I have driven the car once in negative 30 miles or so, when I filled up I manage to get in 40ltr. Don’t think will do that again, very uncomfortable feeling. 😬 Your one does good mpg for 2.0 engine 👍

13 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

That’s right, I have driven the car once in negative 30 miles or so, when I filled up I manage to get in 40ltr. Don’t think will do that again, very uncomfortable feeling. 😬 Your one does good mpg for 2.0 engine 👍

It’s early days but so far the car is performing very well , on an 80 mile cross country trip to the coast yesterday , A&B roads and traffic , the reset computer was saying 63 mpg 👍🙂

We’re finding the MyT app very useful, particularly as you can log business trips which will eventually be a big percentage of the milage done by my wife. Our Average Hybrid score so far is 80% , what sort of scores are other folk getting?  I’ve never been one for driving up close  so naturally leave a decent gap to the car in front which generally allows plenty of time to be smooth on brakes and accelerator. 

• Like 1

When talking about fuel consumption it would be helpful and more meaningful if contributors would amend their profile to show what engine size they have got.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

When talking about fuel consumption it would be helpful and more meaningful if contributors would amend their profile to show what engine size they have got.

Not always needed as for some models, there is only one engine size (eg. Aygo, Yaris hybrid, Auris hybrid).

35 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Not always needed as for some models, there is only one engine size (eg. Aygo, Yaris hybrid, Auris hybrid).

This topic has been posted in the C-HR club.  The C-HR has two engine sizes; 1.8 and 2.0.  Clarification would most definitely be helpful.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

This topic has been posted in the C-HR club.  The C-HR has two engine sizes; 1.8 and 2.0.  Clarification would most definitely be helpful.

My comment stands.

Er, if you read the first sentence of the OPs first post all will be revealed.

8 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Er, if you read the first sentence of the OPs first post all will be revealed.

Yes, but is he expected to put model detail in the first sentence of every post. It’s an omission in the profile and doesn’t take much to rectify.

Had first minor frustration but I doubt it’s anything to do with Toyota. All the family use iPhones and setting them up with the Apple car play couldn’t have been easier, once the phones were paired to the car and plugged in via USB everything worked immediately, including our favourite app Waze, music library , phone contacts etc. 👍

We got the C-HR as my wife started a new job and will use it for business. Unfortunately her company issue is a Samsung phone with Android, the connection experience was “bad” to say the least , phone apparently needs an app installing and getting the thing to connect and even now is hit and miss. The graphics on Waze on Android are not as clear  and IMO basically no where near as good as Apple Car play.  Whilst I object to the price of Apple products they do work, particularly with Apple Car Play , this is 4th car we’ve had it with. Anyone had similar experience with Android ? 

PS the car in all other respects is great 👍 

The MyT App is also proving very useful as Business Trips can be logged which helps keeping records for expenses claims.  It will also be useful in helping decide if our next car will be a full Battery Electric Vehicle. We both had some “range anxiety” over going full BEV as we didn’t know what maximum daily distance would be so opted for the C-HR Hopefully in three years or so the MyT will provide accurate information as to what our maximum daily distance is. The BZ4X could be a contender for our next car if range is not an issue 🤔

3 hours ago, AndyRC said:

The MyT App is also proving very useful as Business Trips can be logged which helps keeping records for expenses claims.  It will also be useful in helping decide if our next car will be a full Battery Electric Vehicle. We both had some “range anxiety” over going full BEV as we didn’t know what maximum daily distance would be so opted for the C-HR Hopefully in three years or so the MyT will provide accurate information as to what our maximum daily distance is. The BZ4X could be a contender for our next car if range is not an issue 🤔

Business travel and doing 200 miles or more daily on regular basis even Tesla are not suitable yet. Bev Battery state of charge drops significantly when used on motorway journeys, add the weather and other factors and you can easily end up with half the estimated range. Long cruise fossil fuel cars are better option for regular long journeys. 

• Like 1

Different car but android auto works great in the Focus so perhaps it is a Toyota thing.

20 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Different car but android auto works great in the Focus so perhaps it is a Toyota thing.

Not sure if it’s car or the phone , but I’d give Apple Car play and an iPhone 10/10 , Android and a Samsung 1/10 🤔

• Thanks 1

Which Samsung phone is it?

There is a known issue with the S21 range & Android Auto that Samsung will roll a fix out for in September.

I currently use Android Auto with my S21 & never have a problem with it, had a S9 before & again never had an issue with Android Auto ( both in a non Toyota vehicle ) 

Apple iPhones and iOS has always been superior devices and is. 👍

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Apple iPhones and iOS has always been superior devices and is. 👍

This  is our first Android phone and after many years of using IPhone/iPads it’s not a good experience, it’s “company” issue  for business use so unfortunately the wife has to live with it ☹️ 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links