Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

toyota avensis t27 steel sump guard

2009joe

hi there guys quick question is this a good mod to put on the car to protect the bottom if it a steel sump guard .thought be a great job thinking of putting on one its £142 here in the uk 

https://www.sump-guard.co.uk/steel-sump-guard-for-toyota-avensis-2008-2015

Great idea, but with my car - 1.8 Valvematic, the engine sump is not the lowest point. Going by the diagrams and photos, there is no access hatch to the oil filter and drain plug, as with the current plastic shield fitted to my car, even though one is mentioned. You have to be very unlucky or going too fast, to have something strike the sump! 
A shield further back to block access to the catalytic convertor would be more useful, even though the T27 is hardly targeted compared to hybrids or Honda Jazz!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Great idea, but with my car - 1.8 Valvematic, the engine sump is not the lowest point. Going by the diagrams and photos, there is no access hatch to the oil filter and drain plug, as with the current plastic shield fitted to my car, even though one is mentioned. You have to be very unlucky or going too fast, to have something strike the sump! 
A shield further back to block access to the catalytic convertor would be more useful, even though the T27 is hardly targeted compared to hybrids or Honda Jazz!

says comes with holes under to do oil change im in 2  minds but as u say if was extra bit to cover the cat from thieves would be great make it harder for those scum to do that 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 9/26/2021 at 9:42 AM, Konrad C said:

thinking of buying one of these what you think 

Why do you think you might need protection for your sump Joe?. Will you be anticipating driving over very rough rutted roads. Unless I knew that it is absolutely necessary to protect the sump then I would be reluctant to spend that amount of money for something that in normal driving conditions I would not need.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Why do you think you might need protection for your sump Joe?. Will you be anticipating driving over very rough rutted roads. Unless I knew that it is absolutely necessary to protect the sump then I would be reluctant to spend that amount of money for something that in normal driving conditions I would not need.

na just thought would be a nice mod to keep the engine clean and tbh i dont like those plastic ones they are not good i changed my oil etc for the 1st time the other day on my car i got and wel i noticed who ever changed it before broke clips and clips were missing also the whole cover is connected with cheap clips . just thought maybe those steel sump guards would be a handy good job 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

na just thought would be a nice mod to keep the engine clean and tbh i dont like those plastic ones they are not good i changed my oil etc for the 1st time the other day on my car i got and wel i noticed who ever changed it before broke clips and clips were missing also the whole cover is connected with cheap clips . just thought maybe those steel sump guards would be a handy good job 

Impulsive buying is not a worthwhile exercise, don’t ask me how I know 😂🤣.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

Impulsive buying is not a worthwhile exercise, don’t ask me how I know 😂🤣.

im one of those guys that would keep cars for a really long time had my last one for 11 years a 1.9tdi vw group car did all my servicing was a great going car .treated myself to a toyota  this time my second on as i knew they can drive forever not give much bother .my vw group car alot of stupid things went wrong with it which i think with this 2014 toyota avensis 2.0d4d shouldnt give much bother .i  have to admit driving the toyota to my last one the toyota is as boring as hell compared to the 1.9tdi that was a great going car .but end of day im kina into dependability now and low maintenance 

I'm still thinking worst case scenario when that heavy plate attachment fails and that steel plate drops off at motorway and hits front (or even windscreen) of car wich drives behind You. I live in northern Finland and at winter time we have here so many and so big ice boulders at roads and still I don't see the problem. I renewed those plastic clips at last oil change and they've lasted 12 years before, so if they last even a half of that I'm happy with it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 2009joe said:

im one of those guys that would keep cars for a really long time had my last one for 11 years a 1.9tdi vw group car did all my servicing was a great going car .treated myself to a toyota  this time my second on as i knew they can drive forever not give much bother .my vw group car alot of stupid things went wrong with it which i think with this 2014 toyota avensis 2.0d4d shouldnt give much bother .i  have to admit driving the toyota to my last one the toyota is as boring as hell compared to the 1.9tdi that was a great going car .but end of day im kina into dependability now and low maintenance 

I had a 1.9tdi VW Passat estate 51 plate many, many years ago, what a fantastic car/engine! Best build car of any car I have ever owned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JiiN said:

I'm still thinking worst case scenario when that heavy plate attachment fails and that steel plate drops off at motorway and hits front (or even windscreen) of car wich drives behind You. I live in northern Finland and at winter time we have here so many and so big ice boulders at roads and still I don't see the problem. I renewed those plastic clips at last oil change and they've lasted 12 years before, so if they last even a half of that I'm happy with it.

That's a great idea I never thought that I ordered new clips online best of it I ordered new clips before and forgot where I left them lol I see there are 3 missing and a big one at the back for some apparent reason .who ever serviced my car before I got it did a !Removed! job when didbt replace clips best of it I bought it with 38k on it so could not have that many servings 4 I'd say can't remember looking at book 

1 hour ago, NeilAvensisT said:

I had a 1.9tdi VW Passat estate 51 plate many, many years ago, what a fantastic car/engine! Best build car of any car I have ever owned.

Yep loved my one 2 great car had a 04 1.9tdi seat Toledo some yoke took all the abuse .had it 11 years seen alot lol well looked after 2 though by me got all needed .original engine ,turbo ,gearbox when sold it just got bored driving it .tbh was the break discs ****** me off always warped don't know why not 2 say drove it like a idiot .always looked after .came 2 a conclusion after sold it was those !Removed! weard brand MOTORFACTOR  discs and pads had 2 be the bother .other than that loved the car drove great looked good 2 .

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links