Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Finally converted the GF, 2021 Corolla hybrid help and questions

Chrisnufc

Hi all I own a GR Yaris which converted me to Toyota away from German stuff, my gf on other hand only liked German and volvo XC cars and wouldn’t budge until we test drove the New Corolla hybrid excel. I put this car on our family car short list and she loved it and actually likes it better than her Audi. So finally converted her lol. It’s the perfect car for what we want, looks good, nice interior, lots of kit and 10 years warranty!  

I have the GR for fun and performance and she doesn’t care about performance but does like a good MPG. So we need 5 doors and I know the 1.8 hybrid had a bigger boot so we are leaning towards that for a family car does it have better running costs compared to the 2.0? 

what mpg are people getting for both the 1.8 and 2.0 hybrids and how many miles are yous getting for a full tank?

do hybrids need special servicing, what are the service costs?

• Like 1

Hi and Welcome to the game of Toyota cars. Great choice for a sport car with Yaris GR👍 
The hybrids doesn’t require any special service even they are simpler than standard ice cars and there are less things to worry about. Regular service is 10k miles or 12 months. Prices best to discuss with the dealers but they are not more expensive than regular cars. For efficiency 1.8 will always be 10mpg on top of the 2.0 hybrid but the 2.0 has more punch when needed., still not as fast as your Yaris though 😉 Corolla Hatchback has slightly limited space on rear seats particularly the leg room but for small children can be just fine. I am sure other members with more experience will help shortly👌
Regards 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Servicing is every 12m/10k and alternates between £190 and £340. 

I’d say you need to have a drive in each to see which one will suits you best, as TonyHSD said above, the 1.8 will give better mpg but the 2.0 will be more powerful. 

I’ve got the 2.0 (touring sports) and I average just over 56mpg since new (3800 miles) which I’m happy with as I regularly use sports mode for a bit of fun when able to. 

I would definitely check out the touring sports though if you want a family car, the extra space will be very useful I’m sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

welcome to TOC, Chris.🙂

If you need a big boot then get a TS - I also happen to think that it looks better. The 1.8 does have a slightly larger boot capacity because the 12v Battery for the 2.0 got moved to the boot.

The 1.8 should give slightly better mpg & be slightly cheaper to run but there is quite a difference in acceleration - 0-62 in a 1.8 takes 10.9s whereas it is 8.1s in a 2.0.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have the 1.8 and get mid to high 60s mpg in summer and mid to high 50s in Winter 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies guys, I would prefer the touring but my gf hates them she will only drive hatchbacks or SUV’s so looked at Corolla hatch and CH-R but we preferred the Corolla. She will be driving it as a daily and for family duties as I have my Yaris so performance is not a requirement. 

I think practicality of Corolla and performance of the GR is a good combination and all basis covered. What’s the highest miles you guys have seen from a journey?

• Like 1

96.4 mpg on a 50 mile single way journey, 80.4 on a 750 mile week holiday in Norfolk…… but that is in a Gen4 Prius not a Corolla….but the hybrid engineering is very similar, it’s the body shape that gives the Prius the edge.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Catlover said:

96.4 mpg on a 50 mile single way journey, 80.4 on a 750 mile week holiday in Norfolk…… but that is in a Gen4 Prius not a Corolla….but the hybrid engineering is very similar, it’s the body shape that gives the Prius the edge.

But the Corolla has less cells in its Battery

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Catlover said:

That’s incredible!

I thought the Corolla, Prius and CH-R shares identical drivetrains?

What style of driving gets the super high figures, does the hybrid prefer long steady driving like a diesel or short runs?

Could also look at the Yaris Cross if she likes SUVs - It's a lot like your GR except taller and a bit bigger; Can even be specced with AWD! (rear electric motor instead of transaxle tho'). (Personally I think it is the spawn of the devil, but I am quite biased against SUVs and crossovers :laugh: )

I find my Mk4 Yaris (The less exciting hybrid cousin of your GR!) can get decent mpg at motorway speeds, preferring low-mid 50's for maximum mpg there, but much prefers 40-60mph roads with speed changes as it can use the regen braking to increase mpg better than just driving at a constant speed. My work commute alone regularly got the car into the low 80's of mpg in the summer, which is mental (Has started to drop lately tho' - Not sure how much of that is due to the onset of cooler autumn/winter temps and/or the change to E10 fuel - Now averaging a terrible 76mpg! :laugh: )

5 minutes ago, Chrisnufc said:

That’s incredible!

What style of driving gets the super high figures, does the hybrid prefer long steady driving like a diesel or short runs?

Actually the car likes both. What does not like is you drive it like a sport car and push it all the time to the max and will remind you to drive relaxed and smooth. Driving in town there is no better cars except full evs, driving on motorways is also very enjoyable, efficiency is top notch in all situations. Pearl white GR spec either with 1.8 or 2.0 engine and any girl will love it 🚙👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hybrids get the best figures in an urban environment with fewer gains to be had on 'the open road'. As with all vehicles they benefit from minimal use of the brakes (although they recover some of the lost energy they can't recover it all) and good acceleration sense. Although the system is largely automatic the driver can encourage the car to operate on Battery alone and at times of low load this will help with fuel consumption. Using the Battery to supplement the ICE is wasteful but not quite as bad as an equivalent sized ICE working on its own.

The Prius range gains from a more aerodynamic shape.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I am not a Lewis Hamilton protégé that’s for sure, I know how to drive a Toyota hybrid to get economy, but I not a close relative of Miss Daisy either. If I want to, and I do at times, I can leave cars for dead at traffic lights which may be a surprise for them, and a joy to me.          
I think the 2.0 Corolla and CH-R have 180bhp in total available, my Prius and the 1.8 Corolla/CH-R has 122bhp.         
As I said before, it’s the body style of the Prius that cuts through the air. It’s air drag coefficient is .24 which is very low for a family hatch, whereas the Corolla/CH-R is .28 I think, in drag terms that is a lot of difference.           
The wheelbase of the Prius is equivalent to the Corolla TS (estate car) but the Prius is definitely a hatch. More leg room in the back then the Corolla hatch/CH-R.           
Going back to mpg. I bought my Gen4 when it was about 20 months old with just over 20,000 miles on the clock. I don’t know who the owner was so don’t know his/her driving style, but tomorrow it will be 5 year old and now has just under 38,000 miles (covid curtailed my driving time). The trip meter says over the life of the vehicle it has averaged 70.2 mpg, that’s over every mile in the 5 years of its life, I find that amazing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Another thing to consider, resale value. Toyota might be an expensive car to buy, but my experience is, that a Toyota dealers gives a fair price for the old car, if it's swapped for a new one.

Service costs can be very different depending on wich dealer you choose. In Denmark allmost every dealer uses fixed (high) prices for every job or task performed. Only a few dealers charges per working hour + materials used.

Theese rare dealers (hard to find) are by far the cheapest ones. Small service = 1,5 working hour + oil + filter + sprinkler fluid = low cost.

• Like 1

I love my 1.8 Corolla TS the dropped boot panel to give more space was really useful at christmas. Before in my Volvo V50 I'd have the boot plus back seat loaded up (we take everything!). With the Corolla and the boot lowered the same stuff all fitted in the boot. I know the car is larger but it was so nice to have everything hidden away. I get about 64mpg but have hardly driven it due to the pandemic I bought it Nov 19.

Regarding service costs they are brilliant compared to my Volvo which always cost over £600 (main dealer). Also I had it from new and 3 weeks before its 8th birthday an injector went. Volvo wanted £2000 to replace it, the local garage £900. A week after that the steering lock stuck though I managed to get it unstuck. I thought it's time to get rid of it so sold it on WBAC and the morning I dropped it off, the drivers electric window got stuck, I was glad to see the back of it. Mind you its Nav was easy with back of steering wheel  buttons, though it was dvd based so updates stopped. However the music and radio cut out when reversing  so you could hear the sensor beeps, I really miss those little things.

Thank you so much everyone, massive help. 

On 9/29/2021 at 9:34 AM, Jiff said:

I love my 1.8 Corolla TS the dropped boot panel to give more space was really useful at christmas. Before in my Volvo V50 I'd have the boot plus back seat loaded up (we take everything!). With the Corolla and the boot lowered the same stuff all fitted in the boot. I know the car is larger but it was so nice to have everything hidden away. I get about 64mpg but have hardly driven it due to the pandemic I bought it Nov 19.

Regarding service costs they are brilliant compared to my Volvo which always cost over £600 (main dealer). Also I had it from new and 3 weeks before its 8th birthday an injector went. Volvo wanted £2000 to replace it, the local garage £900. A week after that the steering lock stuck though I managed to get it unstuck. I thought it's time to get rid of it so sold it on WBAC and the morning I dropped it off, the drivers electric window got stuck, I was glad to see the back of it. Mind you its Nav was easy with back of steering wheel  buttons, though it was dvd based so updates stopped. However the music and radio cut out when reversing  so you could hear the sensor beeps, I really miss those little things.

how many miles do you roughly get from a tank?

On 9/29/2021 at 6:14 AM, nielshm said:

Another thing to consider, resale value. Toyota might be an expensive car to buy, but my experience is, that a Toyota dealers gives a fair price for the old car, if it's swapped for a new one.

Service costs can be very different depending on wich dealer you choose. In Denmark allmost every dealer uses fixed (high) prices for every job or task performed. Only a few dealers charges per working hour + materials used.

Theese rare dealers (hard to find) are by far the cheapest ones. Small service = 1,5 working hour + oil + filter + sprinkler fluid = low cost.

that’s handy regarding trade in price, we will be keeping it minimum 100k miles so that’s about 8 years at current mileage. 

this might be a stupid question but what does LONG term ownership look like regarding the batteries how long are they known to last and are they expensive to replace? I’m not worried about the ICE longetivity as it should last a long time being Toyota just dunno about the batteries 

https://www.torquenews.com/6626/toyota-hybrid-owners-speak-out-battery-length-and-cost

It's a none-issue.

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/warranty/toyota-warranty

"In addition to the manufacturer warranty, your Toyota Hybrid Battery can benefit from up to 15 years of warranty in total. With every service at a Toyota dealer, the warranty is extended for a further 12 months, up to the 15th year of registration."

On 9/28/2021 at 10:21 PM, Chrisnufc said:

That’s incredible!

It's down to the CX (the aerodynamic coefficient) , it's 0.24 on a Prius, and more like 0.32 on C-HR & Corolla. I just saw a new gen 4 Prius today, and I don't think there's any other car on the market that looks as much like a giant wedge of cheese on wheels!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Chrisnufc said:

Thank you so much everyone, massive help. 

how many miles do you roughly get from a tank?

that’s handy regarding trade in price, we will be keeping it minimum 100k miles so that’s about 8 years at current mileage. 

this might be a stupid question but what does LONG term ownership look like regarding the batteries how long are they known to last and are they expensive to replace? I’m not worried about the ICE longetivity as it should last a long time being Toyota just dunno about the batteries 

I think they last ok. I have Auris hybrid from 2010 with both original batteries. Currently at 186k miles and still going strong. If you maintain your car as per recommended service intervals, keep interior clean and cool in hot summer days using ac, check , clean or replace hybrid Battery cooler fan filter you have nothing to worry about Battery issues. If you don’t drive regularly, you may have to worry about the small 12v Battery, but if you drive daily for 30min or more then you will be fine, if not keeping your car in ready mode for around 40-60min once a week or externally charge the 12v battery to preserve its life. Engines are good as you know it 👌 Just because of all that I believe that Toyota cars are the best choice of all ice cars currently anywhere in the world. 

A tankful gives between 550 and 580 miles, more if you really try. (That's a 1.8).

• Like 1

You guys are amazing. Loving this forum already.

47 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I think they last ok. I have Auris hybrid from 2010 with both original batteries. Currently at 186k miles and still going strong. If you maintain your car as per recommended service intervals, keep interior clean and cool in hot summer days using ac, check , clean or replace hybrid battery cooler fan filter you have nothing to worry about battery issues. If you don’t drive regularly, you may have to worry about the small 12v battery, but if you drive daily for 30min or more then you will be fine, if not keeping your car in ready mode for around 40-60min once a week or externally charge the 12v battery to preserve its life. Engines are good as you know it 👌 Just because of all that I believe that Toyota cars are the best choice of all ice cars currently anywhere in the world. 

I have to ask… hybrid Battery cooler fan filter is this something that’s changed during Toyota servicing or is this something we should do on top of recommended schedule? 

you wouldn’t of guessed but I’m actually a time served mechanic (no longer on the tools) but never worked on a hybrid, PHEV or EV so basically know nothing apart from getting told during my apprenticeship never touch them unless specially trained for HV lol. 

58 minutes ago, RabButler said:

A tankful gives between 550 and 580 miles, more if you really try. (That's a 1.8).

That’s beautiful when I’m used to my average 22mpg for my Yaris lol. 

my gf managed 499 miles from her little Audi A1 on fumes which was amazing compared to wht we are used to that Corolla is getting better by the day!

for them miles was that basically running empty or just when light come on?

1 hour ago, Stopeter44 said:

It's down to the CX (the aerodynamic coefficient) , it's 0.24 on a Prius, and more like 0.32 on C-HR & Corolla. I just saw a new gen 4 Prius today, and I don't think there's any other car on the market that looks as much like a giant wedge of cheese on wheels!

That is true but I’m not gonna push my luck trying to convert her to a Prius I practically walked on water and cured lepresy when I won her over on the Corolla 😂… it does look like a wedge though ahah. It looks much bigger than a Corolla aswel  It never seen one side by side 

2 hours ago, Chrisnufc said:

That is true but I’m not gonna push my luck trying to convert her to a Prius I practically walked on water and cured lepresy when I won her over on the Corolla 😂… it does look like a wedge though ahah. It looks much bigger than a Corolla aswel  It never seen one side by side 

The Prius is longer then a Corolla hatch, more like a Corolla estate (TS) and saloon.

5 hours ago, Chrisnufc said:

You guys are amazing. Loving this forum already.

I have to ask… hybrid battery cooler fan filter is this something that’s changed during Toyota servicing or is this something we should do on top of recommended schedule? 

you wouldn’t of guessed but I’m actually a time served mechanic (no longer on the tools) but never worked on a hybrid, PHEV or EV so basically know nothing apart from getting told during my apprenticeship never touch them unless specially trained for HV lol. 

Hi, 

I am not sure if this is part of Toyota service schedule for new cars as I do my own services but if it’s not you can easily do by yourself, it’s an easy task as easy as changing your interior cabin filter. It does not need to be often unless you are driving with fluffy pets inside or using the car in very dusty conditions. Important note: to keep this air vents unobstructed with items while travelling on long journeys. This video can be interesting to you, that guy is a Toyota tech from US and knows well about our cars and all of his work is helpful. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links