Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

One of two fobs wont let car turn over

jogger

Happened to grab by backup fob ( not smart key). It opened the car and cranked but car  wouldnt turn over. My regular (daily fob works fine, as does the car itself ). Replaced the fob Battery yesterday in the backup fob but to no avail.  Tried the reprogram steps.. Again nothing.

Seems odd that the fob would open the doors and light everything when in the on position but not turn over. Doubt its the car as It runs fine and had been through a mechanic check several weeks ago.   

Any thoughts. Posted it on another forum but to no avail

Jo

Just now, jogger said:

Happened to grab by backup fob ( not smart key). It opened the car and cranked but car  wouldnt turn over. My regular (daily fob works fine, as does the car itself ). Replaced the fob battery yesterday in the backup fob but to no avail.  Tried the reprogram steps.. Again nothing.

Seems odd that the fob would open the doors and light everything when in the on position but not turn over. Doubt its the car as It runs fine and had been through a mechanic check several weeks ago.   

Any thoughts. Posted it on another forum but to no avail

Jo

does it start the engine? does the new fob work or still causing problems?

The remote central locking and immobilizer are separate parts of the key, so one working doesn't mean the other will too.

So is it a key or a smartfob?

It's possible it's gotten out of sync if it hasn't been used for several years, but the only way I know to fix that is to do the add-a-new-key programming procedure.

It could also be there's some corrosion or something affecting the transceiver on the key, if it isn't a smartkey, as it's powered by inductance from the car, which is why the regular keys can start the car even if the Battery is removed - The Battery only does the remote central locking.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links