Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Key Fob Reset

Seasense

Hi, I have changed the Battery on my Aventis 2007 key fob. The car unlocks and sets the alarm but it will not start, it just turns over. Is this an immobiliser issue and I have to reset my key fob or is it something else?

if it is just a matter of resetting my key fob - anyone got any instructions?

thanks in advance

Steve

Found this on google don’t know if it will help I suspect if it unlocks the car but won’t start it then maybe there is a immobilzer issue 

How do I program my Toyota Avensis key?

Toyota Key Fob Programming Process
  1. Get into the driver's seat of your Toyota. ... 
  2. Turn your key in the ignition from “off” to “on.”
  3. Turn your key in the ignition from “off” to “on again within five seconds.
  4. Remove your key from the ignition.
  5. Within 40 seconds, close and open the driver's door twice.

The immobiliser function is separate from the remote locking and should still start the car even with no Battery in the keyfob. Do you have a spare key you can try to start the car with?

• Like 1

by chance when you took it apart gto change the Battery or split the fob did you loose the small key immobiliser transponder chip in the fob its really small thing 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Thank you for all your replies. Especially 2009joe!

Unfortunately, I have been very stupid and had removed the chip from the key fob that is used to immobilised the car. In my defence I thought it was a piece of broken plastic from one of the broken buttons. After a half an hour of turning out the kitchen bin, much to my wife amusement, I managed to find it. Once I had put it back it in the fob - car started first time.

I really need to get a spare key - any suggestions how to get one cheaply?

Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That was a close call, most decent locksmiths can a clone a key cheaply (do not use Timpsons)

• Like 2

Phew! Lucky escape!! We had another person on here who'd done the same thing, swapping over the guts into a new unbroken key case, but didn't know about the immobilizer chip. Sadly they were less lucky...

Generally, if you just need a key that starts the car, most auto-locksmiths can clone a working one onto an RFID as flash says, but if you want a fully functioning key (Remote Locking etc.) it's less hassle to just get Toyota to do it. I tried to do it on the cheap with an eBay'd one and ended up spending more money than if I'd gotten Toyota to do it, and still only ended up with a working bodge, but I have below average luck with such things...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seasense said:

Thank you for all your replies. Especially 2009joe!

Unfortunately, I have been very stupid and had removed the chip from the key fob that is used to immobilised the car. In my defence I thought it was a piece of broken plastic from one of the broken buttons. After a half an hour of turning out the kitchen bin, much to my wife amusement, I managed to find it. Once I had put it back it in the fob - car started first time.

I really need to get a spare key - any suggestions how to get one cheaply?

Steve

glad to help i think if your key fob is broken u can get replacement shells on eBay so all u have to do is take out the ke fob insides circuit etc and put it into those eBay new plastics .im not sure of the quality but i seen it done. you were dam lucky u didnt break that wee transponder chip as there very important. if u really want keys i think there are guys out there that can remap the immobiliser out of the car .i remember one time i got  another car key made for my older vw group car and costed me £30 for a second hand one on eBay to which i couldn't get the remote part to work and i got whats called a virgin transponder chip from ebay and i think a auto mechanic charged me another £30 to program the chip. but toyota im not sure how to get another chip linked with my car thank god when buying my car i got 2 keys with it 

5 hours ago, flash22 said:

That was a close call, most decent locksmiths can a clone a key cheaply (do not use Timpsons)

much do they charge. if was to get those used toyota avensis keyf fob on eBay could they be linked to the car 

What I would say when doing something like changing the key fob Battery is, look at the manual, do some research, then do it on a clean table or surface. Use a parts tray or old container.  I now tend to photograph the components for reference purposes. 
The most final thing is keep all the old parts, because they could be vital!
Glad you found the chip and good that you are sorting a spare key. I think it is important to have a spare key, then alternate use. This then helps prolong the life and less wear of the keys, and also means less chance of misplacing the spare, if you have a good routine. I had all the keys (including valet key) of my old '98 Avensis in good condition when I sold it back in 2016, and currently all 3 keys to my current Avensis Valvematic tourer.

• Like 1

Lucky escape! My stepson once dropped his mum's keys on the drive and the key to her Ford Galaxy disintegrated into various pieces. He thought he'd retrieved them all, put the fob back together, and finding that the remote locking worked assumed that it was back working. It was only when she got in the car later and found that it wouldn't start that it became clear there was something still missing. After 15 minutes spent crawling about on the drive in the dark with a head-torch on I found the missing chip! Putting it back into the fob allowed the car to start as normal. This time I put a blob of glue on the chip to hold it firmly in place in case the same thing happened again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Konrad C said:

What I would say when doing something like changing the key fob battery is, look at the manual, do some research, then do it on a clean table or surface. Use a parts tray or old container.  I now tend to photograph the components for reference purposes. 
The most final thing is keep all the old parts, because they could be vital!
Glad you found the chip and good that you are sorting a spare key. I think it is important to have a spare key, then alternate use. This then helps prolong the life and less wear of the keys, and also means less chance of misplacing the spare, if you have a good routine. I had all the keys (including valet key) of my old '98 Avensis in good condition when I sold it back in 2016, and currently all 3 keys to my current Avensis Valvematic tourer.

i only got 2 keys with mine but would like to get another one be handy to have give it to the wife if i buy one of those genuine same key fobs from eBay and find a blank blade and get it cut is it easy enough to get a virgin transponder chip from eBay and put it in there and get it linked to the car plus would it be easy enough to get the second hand key fob to link to the car also

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links