Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

EV Batteries; Fire Risk.

Broadway One

Hi all.....some will recognise me from Club RAV.

Maybe you will be aware of my attempts to work up a project to install personal EV/PHEV charge points within our car park. 

We are a new build of 50 high end apartments. However I will need a consensus to turn my scheme into reality.

The question of fire risk associated with vehicles on charge is bound to surface at some point.

I believe this could be particularly relevant to ageing EV/PHEV's with stressed out Battery packs.

This is a great forum & I would welcome any input/links (+/-) that would help my case.

Thanks in anticipation........Barry Wright Lancashire. 

Barry, I’ve looked at various sources over the last few years out of a casual interest and from what I’ve read there seems to be very little chance of fires when used with professionally installed and maintained equipment. The chargers and cars are smart enough to monitor what’s going on and adjust the charge or switch it off. One area you might want to investigate is the possible impact on the insurance of the complex, the underwriters are probably the best judge as to how safe it’s going to be and what impact on the costs might be expected. You might also want to talk to the local Fire Officers and Planning Officers?

Good luck with the project.

• Thanks 1

Moved to General Discussions 

All cars can catch fire.  What fire extinguishing systems exist now?  What sort of fires can they cope with? 

What additional hazard might the HV batteries present? 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ernieb said:

The chargers and cars are smart enough to monitor what’s going on and adjust the charge or switch it off. One area you might want to investigate is the possible impact on the insurance of the complex, the underwriters are probably the best judge as to how safe it’s going to be and what impact on the costs might be expected. You might also want to talk to the local Fire Officers and Planning Officers?

Hi all......thanks indeed for your feedback.

Take your point Ernie re "smart"  wrt chargers of a standard design & spec.  

Not so with the variety of EV/PHEV 's claiming a charge.    

If anything derails things its most likely to be safety related.

There must be 1000's of EV/PHEV's currently charging within indoor communal car parks.

Surely fire authorities are ahead of the curve on dealing with Battery fires as EV/PHEV ownership grows.

Building insurers hedging their risk should also prove a good indicator.

Still light on numbers re the project, hoping that product appeal & pier pressure will get it over the line.

So much for the joys of communal living........Barry Wright Lancashire.     

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links