Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV - charge cable cover

ernieb

I’ve looked for some time to find a weather cover for the charge cable that would be big enough to go over the massive door cover with out any success. I did buy one that was as big as I could find and there was just not enough material to make it work. Undeterred I found some old weather proof stuff bags that I’d used when we had a caravan and cut and sewed sections into the seam of the bought cover. It’s not pretty but it will be functional, I’d have preferred the original cover to be slightly longer but beggars etc… Has anyone found a better version?

565D867F-198D-47D0-A39A-A18B1E13A1CF.jpeg

Excellent effort Ernie. A road I will not be going down though. I have a dislike for anything that could potentially rub against the paint in windy conditions.

But oh boy, that aperture was definitely left to the tea boy to finish off - it's huge! 😂

Where it touches the body it’s a magnetic strip and I think unlikely to rub the body but I take your point. Like you I’ve never liked covers but overall think I’d rather have some kind of cover over the gapping hole to give some protection from rain but also potentially snow build up as my car is kept outside.

I was surprised after a heavy rain burst awhile ago just how much water was deflected by the door onto the cable and port area. I hope that any update or the new BZ design might have a port door somewhat smaller or hinge from the top as some do?

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

Where it touches the body it’s a magnetic strip and I think unlikely to rub the body but I take your point. Like you I’ve never liked covers but overall think I’d rather have some kind of cover over the gapping hole to give some protection from rain but also potentially snow build up as my car is kept outside.

I was surprised after a heavy rain burst awhile ago just how much water was deflected by the door onto the cable and port area. I hope that any update or the new BZ design might have a port door somewhat smaller or hinge from the top as some do?

Ernie, snow bugg@r - that's a curve ball. We can get a lot here (and, like you, car is outside).

Hmm, need to rethink. 🤔

(looks good in that colour by the way)

Edited by Lawnmowerman
Added content

The red section is the material I added just lucky that's what I had to hand. It's not brilliant but will do.

4 hours ago, ernieb said:

The red section is the material I added just lucky that's what I had to hand. It's not brilliant but will do.

Love it - I meant the car Ernie 😂😂😂. Although it is a good match.

• Like 1

I like all the colour combinations, our test drive was the same colour as you have we were torn between the two but decided to go with our original choice.

Not sure which panel you mean Ernie? I have two large air brakes at the rear of mine on either side that I'm assuming pop out when braking from high speed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

They’re seriously big aren’t they? But as you say in an emergency they would work as air brakes sadly I can only release one from the inside of the car. 😊

• Haha 1

This is this morning after we had some additional snow yesterday, the cover is working fine, pleased so far. When I swept the snow off it came of cleanly, no remaining snow or ice, material is stiffer than before but OK.

5D494B7A-8105-432A-B4AB-7AB7D2AB88B7.jpeg

Two days ago.

How much are you selling them for Ernie?.....................😂

At least the pre-heating is working a treat 👍

D27E15AE-E57B-49F9-8077-33B5711FC0F2.jpeg

053635E7-B7BF-4BF2-8852-BC0239083AEB.jpeg

• Like 1

If only I could make some extra cash, I did slip the cover off and it’s perfectly dry and clean under the cover. Easy enough to modify if you can get hold of similar material, worth the effort I think. However, I did not expect it to be used in anger so early in the season.

The PHEV preheating is a big bonus in the cold weather mind you I did enjoy it in the hot summer days when I could get the car nice and cool before we set off.

• Like 1

Ahh, the summer - that was one benefit of being an early adopter.

When was the PHEV first sold in the UK?

I got mine at the end of May and was told it was one of the first. One of the downsides of being an early adopter is I paid the initial price which was significantly reduced later in the year, but that’s life and it’s still a great car.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links