Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car tax cost for RAV4 Dynamic Plug-in

George baker

Hi

To anyone who owns a RAV4 plug-in can you tell me the cost of your car tax ?

Thank you.

Parker’s guide quotes £480 / yr for the first 5 years compared to £210 for the first year then £145 for the non plug in RAV.

5 hours ago, ernieb said:

£480 year two to year five, includes the over £40k premium.

Shame as I was paying £140 on my 2 year RAV4 Hybrid, inflation I guess 8-) 

1 hour ago, George baker said:

Shame as I was paying £140 on my 2 year RAV4 Hybrid, inflation I guess 8-) 

Taxation rather than inflation - you get to pay a higher rate of VED for buying a "premium" car (i.e. one with a list price >£40k)

15 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Taxation rather than inflation - you get to pay a higher rate of VED for buying a "premium" car (i.e. one with a list price >£40k)

And it is another example of mixed Govt messages when the PHEV with lower CO2 pays more RFL than the HEV….. 

17 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

And it is another example of mixed Govt messages when the PHEV with lower CO2 pays more RFL than the HEV….. 

everything wrong these days including the road tax. Nothing surprises me anymore. 😶

8 hours ago, ernieb said:

£480 year two to year five, includes the over £40k premium.

Sorry correction, the tax rate is +£335 in addition to the standard rate per year from the second year for 5 years for the over £40K list price premium. So year two to year six. 

It’s been a factor on my last two car purchases, my last car (Jaguar XE R-Sport) came in at just under £40k due to the “extras” I added / omitted, as did my current one (RAV4 Dynamic HEV) with a number of extras.

I think the current VED system is flawed and makes a mockery of the government’s low emission incentive, the £40k+ extra adds about £1700 over and above a sub £40k vehicle if you keep it for 6 years, if you sell it before then it may put some potential buyers off.

I certainly can't justify the extra purchase and additional tax cost of the PHEV over the HEV - my supplying dealer filled mine up at the end of October and I'm not going to fill up again for a couple of weeks, so any potential fuel saving costs are negligible. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links