Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Chrome splitting on driver's inside door lever handle

MikeEH

The chrome is splitting on the driver's inside door lever handle. I grabbed it to pull it open today and cut my finger on the raised sharp piece of chrome. Is this a common occurrance on the Avensis and is there a remedy to repair it. All I can think of doing is wrapping some duct tape around the lever handle.

Avensis door handle.jpg

I've not heard of this before with a door handle, but I had something similar happen with my dad's old Verso gear knob - I was impressed they used actual metal in the inlay, but lacerating the palm of my hand when changing gear was not really acceptable so I just bought a new gear knob off eBay.

I don't know if you can clamp/compress it back in so the sharp bit no longer protrudes, otherwise I think you're stuck with wrapping it, coating it with something (Silicone glue or something like that?) or replacing the handle entirely...

I've thought of replacing the handle but looking at it I think the door card will have to be removed which will probably mean breaking the clips and all sorts of other nasties happening so I'll probably go for covering with silicon or duct tape.

Hi

If it were me, I'd replace the handle, it'll be worth the hassle, loads of breakers on fleabay! 

I've never heard of this issue before either, what's the mileage on the vehicle? I assume that handle has had its fair share of use!

I'll check out how easy/diffucult it would be. Thanks.

I did a quick check on my door handle, and all good - 2009 model. Must be either previous wear and tear due to users with rings, or manufacturing defect. Matter of finding replacement from scrap yard as others mentioned. Try a temporary repair by smoothing down the sharp edge to prevent further injury. 

• Like 1

The piece of chrome has lifted off the lever handle. I could easily break off a piece 20mm x 10mm. It probably won't end there, more pieces could lift off too.  I guess I'm probably just unlucky.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links