Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.6 D4D (BMW) Avensis MPG

SB1500

Hi folks, wondering if any of you can share your MPG from Avensis models with the 1.6 'fakeD4D' / BMW engine.

Mines averaging 51.2 (short enough journeys) though it reckoned it got 61.2 on Monday night on a 50 mile drive (not sure how trustworthy it is)

Coming from a smaller more economical car, I know it'll not go as far on a full tank, but I need to know what it considered normal for this size of car and engine.

• Like 1

“50mpg from avensis diesel in current cold weather on short journeys is more than excellent imo, perhaps on longer journeys can go up a bit. Usually numbers given on dashboard are not the exact representation of what actually the car does, brim to brim measurements are the only real deal and for extended period of time, like a week or so to get better picture of what exactly the car consumption is with your way of use. 👍 

• Thanks 1

Yeah that seems decently par for a car of that size. You usually only see higher mpgs on Yaris-sized cars and smaller...

• Thanks 1

Ok - glad to hear this is a good figure for winter and for this kind of car.  I didn't think going from Auris to Avensis enough about the fuel differences.

I noticed this car is around 1500kg in weight!  I'm sure the DS3 was around 1000kg.. the Panda just around 850kg!  Nearly double so the 1.6 engine must be under quite a lot of load most of the time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SB1500 said:

Ok - glad to hear this is a good figure for winter and for this kind of car.  I didn't think going from Auris to Avensis enough about the fuel differences.

I noticed this car is around 1500kg in weight!  I'm sure the DS3 was around 1000kg.. the Panda just around 850kg!  Nearly double so the 1.6 engine must be under quite a lot of load most of the time.

tbh dude i checked mine and well i think it dose about 36 r 37 mpg i checked it from a full tank of fuel it only dose about 470miles around that never over 500 always less 

this is a good site people put in there true driving mpg  

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/avensis-2009/20-d-4d

For what it’s worth, I have the 2.0 litre and have been tracked fuel consumption over the last year. Ranges from between 5.9l/100km (~48mpg) to 7.0l/100km (~40mpg) depending on the weather and type of driving but would typically be 6.1l/100km (~46mpg)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Average about 52 mpg in mixed driving, can nudge 60mpg on a run.  Cruising at 70 rather than 75 makes a big difference.

• Like 1

mine 2018 1.8L perfect condition +++  takes between 5.0 to 6.0L/100km.

it's how you drive it ...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 9:35 AM, avensis_2018 said:

mine 2018 1.8L perfect condition +++  takes between 5.0 to 6.0L/100km.

it's how you drive it ...

What is that in MPG? (can't find a conversion online) 

You must live in the Netherlands where it is very flat! 

No matter how I feather my 1.6 D4D, it is constantly on boost even with acceleration slow enough to irate the drivers behind, I can't drive it without it kicking in and dropping the 'live MPG' to under 20, until I get to about 55-60, then it's able to relax a bit. 

I have much better tyres now which has increased MPG by about 5 (plus me driving better / about as light as you realistically can) using the limiter and all. 

I can't imagine this car will last too long - the engine seems too small in theory, and in practice. But I would like to hear if I am wrong on this as it would be good long-term for keeping the car. Was there ever a 1.6 Toyota built diesel engine in a car this size / weight and how did those fare in more advanced years? 

I can now walk away from my car via what I owe / can get from WBAC etc, and if I sold privately, with todays values I could also get back what I put into it in terms of tyres / Battery this year alone..  But the price of new cars and the horrific finance deals is preventing me. On one hand, I want to move to a CT200h or new A-Class, but having had my experienced lately of bodyshops butchering my cars I can't imagine how I'd feel if it happened a more expensive / nicer car.  Then in terms of moving down, a lot of downgrade cars are the same if not slightly more than what I paid for my Avensis now!  And I'm certainlty not going to pay more per month for a more basic car, though had the price been right I'm sure I could have justified a down-size 😕 Tough times 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SB1500 said:

What is that in MPG? (can't find a conversion online) 

You must live in the Netherlands where it is very flat! 

No matter how I feather my 1.6 D4D, it is constantly on boost even with acceleration slow enough to irate the drivers behind, I can't drive it without it kicking in and dropping the 'live MPG' to under 20, until I get to about 55-60, then it's able to relax a bit. 

I have much better tyres now which has increased MPG by about 5 (plus me driving better / about as light as you realistically can) using the limiter and all. 

I can't imagine this car will last too long - the engine seems too small in theory, and in practice. But I would like to hear if I am wrong on this as it would be good long-term for keeping the car. Was there ever a 1.6 Toyota built diesel engine in a car this size / weight and how did those fare in more advanced years? 

I can now walk away from my car via what I owe / can get from WBAC etc, and if I sold privately, with todays values I could also get back what I put into it in terms of tyres / battery this year alone..  But the price of new cars and the horrific finance deals is preventing me. On one hand, I want to move to a CT200h or new A-Class, but having had my experienced lately of bodyshops butchering my cars I can't imagine how I'd feel if it happened a more expensive / nicer car.  Then in terms of moving down, a lot of downgrade cars are the same if not slightly more than what I paid for my Avensis now!  And I'm certainlty not going to pay more per month for a more basic car, though had the price been right I'm sure I could have justified a down-size 😕 Tough times 

50mpg average it’s more than adequate, respectful fuel consumption for the car size weight and engine set up. Most Toyota hybrids owners currently are getting similar figures with some exception a bit more mpg.  Summer time though the hybrids will increase by 10-15mpg where yours probably by 5-10, slightly less. If you buy a Lexus look at ux250h , because  ct200h it’s the same technology as my Auris from 2010 and you won’t get even as good mpg as me, these ct200h are least efficient hybrids, max 50-55mpg summer time real world. I am currently at around 52mpg mostly long motorway cruises at sensible speeds. If I go in town I get better consumption. 
If you looking at Toyota hybrids Corolla 2019-> , Yaris cross , Prius these are the efficient ones. 👍

• Like 2

I found with my diesels that the engine really wanted to be under load to work best; The hotter it got, the more efficient it got.

When I first had it, I drove it like a petrol with more gentle progressive acceleration, and in winter the engine wouldn't even be at operating temperature by the time I got half-way to work. It also caused noticeable issues that I now suspect were down to carbon buildup on the injectors due to there not being enough heat to burn them off.

I found the car worked best when instead accelerated fairly hard up to the desired speed then put it in the highest gear for that speed, and coast practically on idle.

The harsher acceleration got the engine hot much faster so it spent more of the journey in optimal operating temp (e.g. 80% of it instead of 40%), and with the coasting and good look-ahead I'd usually regain the mpg lost by the harder acceleration pretty quickly.

I think getting them decently hot regularly is essential for their health as it helps burn off soot that would otherwise build up on the injectors, pistons, valves, turbo etc. not to mention the DPF, EGR, cat etc.

That's probably true of any combustion engine, but diesels especially so.

• Like 2

mine 2018 1.8L perfect condition +++  takes between 5.0 to 6.0L/100km.

it's how you drive it ...

5 liter gas to 100km of driving, this week i broke my record, 4.7 liter to 100 km of driving/or 62.1 miles

100km=62.1 miles.

Convert it for gallons:

50MPG.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, avensis_2018 said:

mine 2018 1.8L perfect condition +++  takes between 5.0 to 6.0L/100km.

it's how you drive it ...

5 liter gas to 100km of driving, this week i broke my record, 4.7 liter to 100 km of driving/or 62.1 miles

100km=62.1 miles.

Convert it for gallons:

50MPG.

I’d love to trade mine for an auto petrol Excel model but they’re hard to come by! Especially at that MPG … but 50 is the highest you can manage? 

• Like 1

my car a 2014 2.0 d4d 1adftv engine dose from  full tank of diesel 456 miles to full tank which i think tbh is not good but thats all short journeys from full tank to fuel light on dash 

3 hours ago, SB1500 said:

I’d love to trade mine for an auto petrol Excel model but they’re hard to come by! Especially at that MPG … but 50 is the highest you can manage? 

tbh id love to sell mine buy a 2015  or 2016 toyota rav 4  4x4  there nice looking 

Avensis 18 engine 1.8 gas.

yes 48MPG it's average not highest. 50MPG consider good !

around 450 miles on full tank.

after driving let say 40 min when you turn off on the start bottom it's write down your average MPG of each driving. also in the radio on car screen you have it, 50MPG consider good!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, avensis_2018 said:

Avensis 18 engine 1.8 gas.

yes 48MPG it's average not highest. 50MPG consider good !

around 450 miles on full tank.

after driving let say 40 min when you turn off on the start bottom it's write down your average MPG of each driving. also in the radio on car screen you have it, 50MPG consider good!

These are good results 👍

Perhaps you live in a hot country as currently in uk you will be lucky if you can get close to 40mpg with any Avensis. Too cold here. 

• Like 1

With diesel it depends on journey time more than anything - With my Mk1 D4D, the longer the journey was, the closer it got to 'summer' mpg, even in winter, as once you got the engine to operating temp it would be as efficient as it was in summer. My Mk1 D4D only dropped a few mpg vs summer on average - The drop was a lot less than the worst I've had with the  Mk4 hybrid!

When cold, diesel engines have absolutely awful mpg (My dad once managed to get just 135 miles out of a full tank of his old Focus TDCI in winter due to repeated really short journeys - On a long run I got over 500 out of the same tank! :eek: ), but when they're warmed up their efficiency is much higher so it's just a matter of clawing back that initial mpg slump.

This is why it can be beneficial to NOT drive it gently, so that initial cold period is over sooner. You use up more fuel doing so than if you'd been gentle, but then for the rest of the journey the engine will be at its most efficient so it cancels out that initial higher use. (That's what I found anyway!)

It does depend on the car tho' - My brother's i30 seems to be set up as a gentle motorway cruiser and it just won't let itself be driven like the nippy Mk1 D4D :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

With diesel it depends on journey time more than anything - With my Mk1 D4D, the longer the journey was, the closer it got to 'summer' mpg, even in winter, as once you got the engine to operating temp it would be as efficient as it was in summer. My Mk1 D4D only dropped a few mpg vs summer on average - The drop was a lot less than the worst I've had with the  Mk4 hybrid!

When cold, diesel engines have absolutely awful mpg (My dad once managed to get just 135 miles out of a full tank of his old Focus TDCI in winter due to repeated really short journeys - On a long run I got over 500 out of the same tank! :eek: ), but when they're warmed up their efficiency is much higher so it's just a matter of clawing back that initial mpg slump.

This is why it can be beneficial to NOT drive it gently, so that initial cold period is over sooner. You use up more fuel doing so than if you'd been gentle, but then for the rest of the journey the engine will be at its most efficient so it cancels out that initial higher use. (That's what I found anyway!)

It does depend on the car tho' - My brother's i30 seems to be set up as a gentle motorway cruiser and it just won't let itself be driven like the nippy Mk1 D4D :laugh: 

That’s actually the case exactly with the hybrids. I had my best ever fuel consumption in negative temperatures but very comfortable low speed empty streets drive through towns and country lanes. Mpg crazy high , Yaris or Prius phev figures 👌😉

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links