Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV Random observations

Flatcoat

Washed the car today for first time and thought better top up washer fluid. Surprised the bonnet is not on gas struts! And, the wheels are a bu88er to clean (19” on a Dynamic Premium). Need a step ladder to do the roof too….. 

• Like 1

I’ve been looking at some after market gas struts for the bonnet. I’ve been using an old caravan door step to do the roofs on my last few cars so not a big deal. I use a micro cloth for the wheels and just bunch it up into the various casting areas works a treat.  It’s always the same with wheels, look great till it comes to cleaning them.

• Like 1

I'm 6'1" and struggle to reach across the roof to wipe it down with a microfibre cloth after washing the car, I'm going to have to buy a step stool. The first car that I've had this issue with, however I did start with an original Mini. 

• Like 1

As the lads in my local garage say, pretty pointless Toyota fitting bonnet gas struts as its rare the bonnet needs to be opened.

Then again VAG seem to like to fit them to there VW & Audi products, normally a cheap standard black one on VW & a nice shiny silvery colour on the Audi - Seat & Skoda products normally just get the old fashioned prop. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

As the lads in my local garage say, pretty pointless Toyota fitting bonnet gas struts as its rare the bonnet needs to be opened.

Then again VAG seem to like to fit them to there VW & Audi products, normally a cheap standard black one on VW & a nice shiny silvery colour on the Audi - Seat & Skoda products normally just get the old fashioned prop. 

If the washer fluid could be filled without I would agree however I do clean my underbonnet area - if there is ever a need to check something it is always better to have everything clean and lessen the chance of getting clothes marked with grease etc. My Audi A2 was great. The front grille dropped down and all the service items could be accessed. Pity more car designers didn’t follow suit. In addition the reach required to open and access the prop will be impossible for many people, especially women. My wife does like to know how to fill up washer fluid at least, even though we are now car sharing…. (Now that’s the test of a good marriage….). 

• Like 2

Fitted gas struts about 10 months ago, car like this should already have them!!!!!!!!
Only problem is that I feel obliged to put a note in the car warning that it has gas struts when it goes in for service. Think the struts cost me about £20.00. I did give the brackets a coat of grey paint to match the car. ( anal or what )         Don't have a problem cleaning the 19 inch wheels at all although I do use 2 different shaped brushes.                                   Having owned a string of mpv's I have had a stool for roof cleaning for years as this is a must.Normally use a wooden kitchen chair with the back sawn off. IDEAL

Terry

At least the 4.5 bonnet stay is easier to reach and place in position than the 4.4 - that was a real struggle.

For doing the roof I open the rear passenger door and stand in the edge - of course it does help to have roof rails, not sure I could do that without !

Peter

2 hours ago, Peterd23 said:

At least the 4.5 bonnet stay is easier to reach and place in position than the 4.4 - that was a real struggle.

For doing the roof I open the rear passenger door and stand in the edge - of course it does help to have roof rails, not sure I could do that without !

Peter

The 4.4 had two stay positions - the lower one was easy to reach and lifted the bonnet easily high enough to check the oil and top up the washer fluid. The 4.5 is arguably harder, but I'm not going to ... 🙂

As for washing the roof, I can't see it so it really doesn't need to shine! ... 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There’s a video on You Tube from a guy called car Care Nut who is a Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician, and he shows how to fit gas struts.  Very interesting!

My Corolla was my first car in 50 years with a bonnet stay.  First time I opened the bonnet and left go.  It just missed my face. 

🤣 I haven't even washed it since I got it! Never mind opened the bonnet. I should familiarise myself with where the bonnet release button is and where the release catch is at the front? Any ideas?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nick72 said:

🤣 I haven't even washed it since I got it! Never mind opened the bonnet. I should familiarise myself with where the bonnet release button is and where the release catch is at the front? Any ideas?

RTFM 😇

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links