Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Emulsion in oil filler cap.

Hadrian1

I was showing my wife how to check the oil level, and where to put the oil if needed, when I noticed some creamy emulsion

in the filler cap.  We are doing mostly short journeys recently, and in cold weather. Would this just be condensation causing

this I wonder ?  (I hope) The car hasn't done much more than 2,000 miles.

Short journeys in cold weather with a modern efficient Yaris are the perfect conditions for causing this issue.

Maybe take the vehicle on a longer journey so it gets up to temperature.

• Like 2

Thanks for reply. Yes I understand this is the norm after watching a couple of YouTube videos on the subject.

It's always a worry though, when you first see it.

These short journeys are killing it for any combustion engine and 12v Battery, best to use E5 premium petrol and do take the car for a longer motorway trip of 30+ min once a month, the car will thank you. 👌🏁 An investment in ctek charger and periodically recharge your Battery is also a good idea to prevent any future issues. 👍

4 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

👌🏁 An investment in ctek charger and periodically recharge your battery is also a good idea to prevent any future issues. 👍

Tony I asked this question before:  Given say 3 short runs a week, do you use your charger regularly, say once a month for instance. 

Of course there is short and short.  It might be a one mile trip to the shops and back, or my short 15-20 mile round trip with half at 60-70 mpg. 

35 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Tony I asked this question before:  Given say 3 short runs a week, do you use your charger regularly, say once a month for instance. 

Of course there is short and short.  It might be a one mile trip to the shops and back, or my short 15-20 mile round trip with half at 60-70 mpg. 

Hi Roy, 

basically short journeys that kills the car Battery for example are 2 miles journey to the shops and back, or school run, very close work places etc. Short in time the car been ON, short in mileage it’s not a problem. If you do keep the car for 20-30 min each time in ready mode then even with short journeys it won’t be a problem for the Battery, but if the car gets on and off in 10-15min each time then the 12v Battery will not have enough time to be recharged but it will get properly discharged. The biggest energy draw from the 12v battery in Toyota hybrids is from the brake booster, when pressurises and depressurises itself, immediately after you start the car and a minute later after you turn off the car. This is very similar to turning the starter in conventional car. Here is the trick to try to keep the car in ready mode for longer as possible. Going to the shop with your relative, let them do the shopping you stay in the car and keep in ready mode, washing the car again keep in ready mode, waiting for someone at car park , keep in ready mode.
One experiment to try for yourself to see how brake booster drains the battery when  the car been turned on or off. 
Switch off the car and open the drivers door and leave it slightly open , make sure your interior light is ON and wait a minute to hear the booster pump depressurises itself and watch the interior light will blink while the pump is drawing current from the battery 🔋🔌👍

I was “teaching” the wife today how to get the best recharge possible when out on short runs. You been in the shop/store and get back to the car, when you get in immediately put car into Ready mode….. 12v Battery being charged now. Then start fiddling taking mask off, wiping hands with cleanser, connect phone to charger etc. you could get couple minutes out of that fiddling.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Here is the trick to try to keep the car in ready mode for longer as possible. Going to the shop with your relative, let them do the shopping you stay in the car and keep in ready mode, washing the car again keep in ready mode, waiting for someone at car park , keep in ready mode

Yup, I do all that. As a new, untrained, hybrid owner I would stop and switch off as soon as I parked and of course never leave the ignition on with the engine off. To an experienced ICE driver the Hybrid is an alien experience. 

Do you use your charger regularly anyway? 

I suspect EV may be different again unless they also have a services Battery, do they? 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Yup, I do all that. As a new, untrained, hybrid owner I would stop and switch off as soon as I parked and of course never leave the ignition on with the engine off. To an experienced ICE driver the Hybrid is an alien experience. 

Do you use your charger regularly anyway? 

I suspect EV may be different again unless they also have a services battery, do they? 

I personally don’t use any chargers as I drive a lot, actually I spend more time in the car then in my house and so I keep in ready mode for hours sometimes when is cold. The Evs are similar if not exactly the same, some of them have ability to trickle charge their 12v Battery from the main Battery even when the car is off, locked and not plugged in, that was recent discovery for me that we noticed on my girlfriend’s car 🙂

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links