Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A few gripes.

Marcusthehat

First, is there no warning for low windscreen washing content?

Second 

I am really really really frustrated with the arrangement of the cruise control and speed limiter functions.

I find it near impossible(having attempted to train myself for 6 months/6000 miles) to know whether CC/SL is on or off. A bing/bong would be really useful for on and off notification 

And perhaps put the SL on the left set of control buttons.

Regardless I spend too much time watching the dash to establish Mod edit is happening with these 2 functions.

Anyone else having these issues?

Marcus

Not sure which model you have from your profile and whether it is HEV or PHEV. From other threads I believe the only model of the complete line up that has the washer fluid warning is the Excel HEV. Much debate about how much of a luxury extra this is but it is what it is.

Never used the speed limiter, not even sure I have one without looking. I find cruise control fine. There's an icon on the dash when activated then the it displays the set speed when it's active. Only ever used adaptive CC so not sure how easy it is to tell between adaptive and standard. The adaptive distance setting is also clear on the dash and comes up large on the MID when setting it.

• Like 1

Thanks for letting me know about no warning for low windscreen washing content, I have to add it to my small list of annoyances 😅 I switched from VW and I'm sometimes surprised how backwards this car his, however, the drive is 10 out of 10 and as this was the reason to switch, can't really complain.

Regarding SL and CC, I don't see the issue here, they are represented by two different dash icons, these are standard and it's no different to any other car I drove in the past. Maybe, maybe I found this system a little bit more difficult to operate than in VW, but 6 months should really be enough to get to know it well 😁

• Like 1

If adaptive there is a message saying Radar Ready and you get the distance bars.

I don't find any issues with setting/using cruise but I never use the limiter so can't comment.

I love the RAV but yes there are some strange things where it is backwards.  Like amongst all the electronic display elements there's a physical button to change the odo/trip/light level.  To my mind it must cost more to produce the physical button than to add those options to the menu software.

And not having all the interior buttons for windows and mirrors lit up is a pain.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

If adaptive there is a message saying Radar Ready and you get the distance bars.

I don't find any issues with setting/using cruise but I never use the limiter so can't comment.

I love the RAV but yes there are some strange things where it is backwards.  Like amongst all the electronic display elements there's a physical button to change the odo/trip/light level.  To my mind it must cost more to produce the physical button than to add those options to the menu software.

And not having all the interior buttons for windows and mirrors lit up is a pain.

You know better than most, but the differences between the Yaris and the RAV4 are surprising sometimes. The cruise control on/off I find easy, although until answering this post, I didn't realise that "Cancel" means "Pause", or at least that's what the manual leads me to believe. The most striking differences between the RAV4 and the Yaris are the auto door locking and LTA functions.

• Like 1

I am aware of the various visual indications on the dash. But to use them requires one to take ones eyes off the road. Which is why I would prefer audible  indications.

Also a simple wee thing like the SL should automatically come on at 39mph, then one could subtract 10 or add 10 as needed.

P.S 

I too came from a VAG vehicle.

The Yaris drls come on temporarily when you unlock too, and the RAV doesn't.  Wish it did though.

As Nigel says in the 2nd post, you get dash lights to tell you when cc or so is on. It probably tell you that in the car manual.

Someone was asking how to switch off chimes (bing bong) now we have someone saying they want more chimes 😁

land when comparing how backward a Toyota car is compared to other makes, just think of how forward it is in other areas.  Glass half full, half empty comes to mind. 😉

• Like 2

Marcus, with you completely.  The control bunching often causes me to select Off rather than resume. Having 3 BUTTONS, when my previous car managed with just 2 IIRC, and no tactile feel is wrong. 

I drove a Yaris where the buttons were in the same position and sense but each was ridged so you could sense it. 

That right hand button to switch between CC and ACC is necessary though. As for SL, I agree I have to think and look. 

Cat, very true.  Some of us want different things, some want more, some want less.  My biggest gripe is the door open bong when I least want it; it didn't stop the Missus failing to shut the power down when leaving the car on the drive "the lights wouldn't go off". Took me ages to rearrange all the stalk controls 😁

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nlee said:

I believe the only model of the complete line up that has the washer fluid warning is the Excel HEV

If it makes you feel any better, no I don't think that the Excel HEV has such a warning light either ... 🙂

50 minutes ago, philip42h said:

If it makes you feel any better, no I don't think that the Excel HEV has such a warning light either ... 🙂

It says it has it on the spec listing and I'm sure other threads mention it but I see you actually own one so would trust you would know for for sure.

Screenshot_20220124-121128.thumb.png.91bee3c1ad614303fffb8c09719ef45f.png

I've not seen a washer fluid warning, but then maybe I haven't run low enough; but I can't find any mention of one in the hardcopy manual.

The dimmer for the speedo display is really annoying; my previous cars have had a separate knob for this; having to stick my arm through the steering wheel seems ludicrous.

5 minutes ago, nlee said:

It says it has it on the spec listing and I'm sure other threads mention it but I see you actually own one so would trust you would know for for sure.

Screenshot_20220124-121128.thumb.png.91bee3c1ad614303fffb8c09719ef45f.png

That would be a very rash assumption ... 🙂

There is no "washer fluid level low" warning light mentioned in the handbook and that's what I looked for.

It is quite possible that a message will at some time pop up on the MID - but I can't find such documented in the handbook under the description of the MID.

But it does say, under Checking and adding the washer fluid:

Type B: If any washer does not work or the warning message appears on the multi-information display, the washer tank may be empty. Add washer fluid.

So, maybe ... either way I've not notice such a message.

BTW guys, I think this thread could be good to ask. Is there any way to open the boot with doors closed in the following scenario?

I'd like to leave the car, close all the doors, then open the boot to grab groceries. When I do so, the doors are opening. Also, the car won't let me to close doors with boot open. So now I have to grab groceries, wait for the car to close the boot and close the car from the key/handle which is annoying as with the previous car, I could close the car with the boot open, so all I had to do is grab shopping bags and close the boot.

My 2019 Excel very much has windscreen wash low warning message right across the middle of the instrument display, although you can use the 'return' button to minimise it away like any other warning message such as low fuel.

I get my 2021 Excel on Friday, feature better not have been 'deleted' in this year!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links